Bladester

Chirping
Aug 7, 2022
South Eastern Pennsylvania
Hello All:

I am a recent new homesteader and backyard chicken owner; living in Eastern PA. I bought my first set of chicks in June and received them on August 16th 2022. I have a total of 6 chickens; 2 WHITE Rocks, 2 Rhode Island REDs, and 2 BLACK Australorps. I built a 6 x 6 x 5 foot coop and a 6 x 8 x 7 foot run for them. I named them all; Eggnog, Magic, Paprika, George, Bart and Maple. They are friendly enough that they come to me and jump on to my lap or shoulder. I enjoy them a lot and hopefully I start seeing eggs by the end of November. I am really enjoying the community. Hopefully everyone likes the photos. Ask any questions on the build. Thanks!

I am attaching some photos of the Coop and Run.

Cheers,
Bladester

Attachments

• Nesting Box for Coop.jpg
    Nesting Box for Coop.jpg
    965.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Side of Coop - Door Side.jpg
    Side of Coop - Door Side.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 19
  • Run Straight.jpg
    Run Straight.jpg
    947.4 KB · Views: 17
  • BacK Side of Coop - Run Side.jpg
    BacK Side of Coop - Run Side.jpg
    846 KB · Views: 18
  • Run Under Coop.jpg
    Run Under Coop.jpg
    1,021.9 KB · Views: 17
  • In the Run Straight Looking at Coop.jpg
    In the Run Straight Looking at Coop.jpg
    990.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Run In Doorway Right.jpg
    Run In Doorway Right.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 18
  • Run In Doorway - Swingsets.jpg
    Run In Doorway - Swingsets.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
  • Coop - Inside Main Door View.jpg
    Coop - Inside Main Door View.jpg
    674.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Coop - Inside Main Door View Food.jpg
    Coop - Inside Main Door View Food.jpg
    642.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Coop - Inside Main Door View Left.jpg
    Coop - Inside Main Door View Left.jpg
    719.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Coop - Inside Main Door View Lights.jpg
    Coop - Inside Main Door View Lights.jpg
    600.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Coop - Inside Main Door View Main Switches.jpg
    Coop - Inside Main Door View Main Switches.jpg
    522.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Coop - Inside Main Door View Nesting Boxes Closed.jpg
    Coop - Inside Main Door View Nesting Boxes Closed.jpg
    678.3 KB · Views: 17
Welcome!
It still could use some modifications. I agree about the ventilation. Consider a big hardware cloth covered window on the run side of the coop. your roofed run will protect it all year. In winter, add sheet vinyl or panels to the windward sides or the run, leaving the top foot or so open for ventilation.
I'm concerned about the way the hardware cloth is attached to the framing, it's not secure enough. And do you have a dig proof skirt at ground level?
It's not possible to overbuild the coop and run when it comes to predators!
Mary

I'm a little concerned about the power outlet proximity to the roosting bar.
Chicken poo is a force to be reckoned with. The outlet looks within doodoo range.
The wires and outlet also look easy for sticky-beaks to reach.
If it were me, I would either move everything electrical up near the ceiling... OR cover the wires with that sturdy plastic strip stuff you can walk on and fit the outlet with a cover.

My first rule of chicken housing is everything you think they won't or can't do is exactly what they will do.
"He can't fly over that"...
"Surely they won't step near that nail"...
"She's too fat to fit through there"...
"There's no way they could mess with that"...
:th

Is the heat lamp staying? They're a fire hazard in general, but especially when hung solely by the clamp. Clamps are known to fail. The loop above the lamp itself should be secured with a chain or metal wire to help support the clamp.

Regarding ventilation, you want at least 6 sq ft (or more) per bird that stays open 24/7. the vents under the roof (which is a great place for them for sure) provide 0.125 sq ft of ventilation each. You mentioned window vents, however I see plastic(?) covering most of the window, so those aren't providing ventilation if they're left covered.

It looks like the inside of the coop is still set up for brooding Littles. You can go ahead and take all of that out. The heat lamp, food, toys, dust bath. From now on they will only go in to sleep and lay.
You can build them some roosting for the run too. They need more than swings and training roosts at this point.

Back
Top Bottom