DIY Coop and Run -- Design Feedback

Progress has been slow thanks to a week of heavy storms, but I have the footers dug out now.

The grade falls 12 inches from the high corner to the lowest.

Tomorrow, gravel will be delivered. Soooo sore

Attachments

• IMG_7415.jpeg
    IMG_7415.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
It took a few days for the impromptu swimming pool to turn back into a trench and for me to move, tamp and level 1.5 tons of gravel, but the blocks are in place, level and square.

Just in time for another inch of rain to fall last night.

IMG_7432.jpeg

The girls have been watching my progress from a mini-run.

IMG_7433.jpeg

Last edited:
Mini update today (more rain)

Cap blocks are in place. Right now, the blocks and caps are dry stacked. I’m debating whether to use mortar to set the caps, use construction adhesive, or just leave them as is.

I will be attaching a pressure treated sill plate using tapcon screws.

The dilemma is that using mortar might qualify as needing an inspection.

IMG_7448.jpeg

I also found a solar panel system via craigslist and have successfully tested it.

IMG_7452.jpeg

The monsoons abated long enough for me to lay down a sill plate of pressure treated 2x4s, lap joints at the corners and tapcon anchored into the concrete cap blocks at various points.

IMG_7516.jpeg

On top of that, today, I used Simpson post bases (shockingly expensive for a bent piece of metal) to mount 4x4 posts, pocket screws for 2x6 rim joists and joist hangers for the 2x6 hen house joists.

IMG_7521.jpeg

IMG_7524.jpeg

IMG_7525.jpeg

And then the sky opened up again.

It feels like tangible progress for a change.

Despite 90° temps, 85% humidity and constant rumbles of thunder, my 15 year old and I were able to get the joists painted, the decking installed ( doubled-up 3/8” plywood — long story), and the interior wall framed, with the pop door opening (with a PVC threshold plate).

Of course it’s going to pour again tonight, so we covered the decking with some of the roofing panels.

When did North Carolina become the Pacific Northwest?

IMG_7533.jpeg
IMG_7546.jpeg
IMG_7547.jpeg

Today started with some tweaks to the pop door opening, then my son and I built the 'Carolina coop' wall (aka the French windoors and drop down cleanout door) and the rear wall, framed for a window and a second drop down cleanout door.

We found out just how twisted one of the 4x4 posts that my house's previous owners abandoned donated -- trying to pull it true was unsuccessful, but it was the end of the day, 90°+ and thunder was rumbling.

Tomorrow, we plan to get the nesting box wall framed and at least some of the run panels standing.

IMG_7557.jpeg
IMG_7558.jpeg
IMG_7552.jpeg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom