my goose is sick I need some help

action jackson

Songster
5 Years
Mar 18, 2015
ny
So here's the story my goose action Jackson got sick and has been for 2 weeks now I brought him to the vet xray ed him 190$ I thought he might be clogged xray turned out no blockage so I put him on soluble oxytetracycline 2.5tbs per gallon 3 days went by he started getting better kept him on it for 10 days i.e normal eating and energy took him off he downgraded quickly so back to vet 89$ fecal lab test which I should get back in 3 days so then put him on sulfadimethoxine soluble 2tsp gallon he seemed more alert this morning but now he looks shot mind tyou he's still clean he has increased thrust no appetite pale feet and a dark very dark green watery stools I'll post pics I don't care about the money but we all know with birds you have to strike while the irons hot and I'm crying right now cause I don't wanna u lose my best bud any help would be most appreciated

Last edited:

Before oxytetracycline

Vet should have done fecal before now, i would think. Why the heck is it taking three days to get a fecal back? Our vet will do one for us in a couple of hours. If I had to guess, (which I do) I would say it's parasite related, as many illnesses related to birds are. I don't know much about geese, but since you have invested that much money at the vet's, I would call them back and tell them you want them to hurry up with that fecal, and should you go ahead and start deworming your bird, anyway. Make sure he eats and drinks. If you have to put goodies, like applesauce or scrambled egg, in his food, to get him to eat, or anything to make it moist, do that. Have you ever dewormed him or treated him for cocci?

Remember, geese and ducks drink twice the amount of water as chickens do, and 2 tsp sulfadimethoxine is too much, depending on how long the treatment is. If you can get some Cephalexin http://www.revivalanimal.com/Fish-Flex.html?sku=22146-174 or Metronidazole http://www.revivalanimal.com/Fish-Zole.html I would suggest that for intestinal bacterial infections with cephalexin 1 tabs, 2x a day for 5 days, or metronidazole, 1 tab, once a day for 5 days. Follow up with probiotic dispersible powder and poultry vitamins-electrolytes in waterers for 2-3 days.

Fecal when to exotic pet lab thus 3 days so they can test what antibiotic is the best at killing whatever he has thus it's a float test

Mind everyone I'm in the country and have large rats they got into the house he's been inside with me all winter it was rough I think the vermin ate out of his dish or water I have corrected the problem dose anyone think the rat gave him something mind you I've already taken out 16 rats this week alone horse barn not to far from where I live thus the rats

Mind everyone I'm in the country and have large rats they got into the house he's been inside with me all winter it was rough I think the vermin ate out of his dish or water I have corrected the problem dose anyone think the rat gave him something mind you I've already taken out 16 rats this week alone horse barn not to far from where I live thus the rats

I didn't see that post earlier. Rats and vermin are notorious for carrying fowl cholera. Penicillin is often used for sulfa resistant infections.

Back
Top Bottom