My experience with bielefelders so far

Finally remembered to snap a few pictures while I was out there yesterday! I noticed when I came in that my lens was smudged, so some pics are a little blurry.

We lost several of the Biel females in the brooder. Not sure why they seemed more prone to death than the other chicks, and not sure what the problem was. 😕 All the males survived, and we still have some of the females. They seem to be doing well now! 👍🏼

We decided on names for all the Bielefelder roosters:
Sheriff (he already seems to be keeping the peace pretty well in the flock, even though he is younger than many of them)
Deputy
Roy Rogers
Lone Ranger
Tonto

We haven't named the girls yet. 🙂
I think Hazel and Ginger have a nice ring to them, if you are open to name suggestions of course! 😊

Oh boy. I am always tempted because they are big and adorable looking and I love the coloration, they look so much like my CCL that I love so much, just bigger and without the crest, not to mention thehy are auto sexing. Maybe I rethink getting them and satisfy myself with my CCLs.
I'm so sorry to hear about your hen. I hope she pulls through! Thanks for all the input and honesty.
I find the comments about the roosters being vicious at odds with my experience. My Bielefelder rooster, Pretty Boy, is very gentle, can be trusted not to frighten toddlers, never tears my hens up. He has gone toe to toe with a crow that appeared to be after my smallest silkie Fluffy. He also went toe to nose with a dog that got in my yard and was going after my chickens. But again he's a gentle boy. I got him from Sandhill preservation. He'll be 2 years old next month.

Back
Top Bottom