My Chicken falls down when she tries to run (video)

So sprout is still with us this morning, she went from not being able to stand last night, to being able to stand this am. Although she drank some water for me, she didn't eat her worms. :(.

This is horrible. None of my other girls are showing any signs of anything thankfully

This is Sprout. I rescued a flock of 17 chickens about a year ago (and a turkey). So far they have all been great. I lost one to a severe prolapse and as of yet has been the only casualty.

Last week I walked into the coop and she was in a crumpled heap. I picked her up, she stood up and walked off. When I picked her up I also noticed her being extremely thin. So I separated her and came here. Looked at everything everyone has said about similar situations and tried a few things.

They had all been wormed with wazine about 8 weeks ago. I had also purchased some Valbazin for them, but hadn't wormed them with that yet. So I went ahead and gave just her some and hoped for the best.

She eats fine, drinks fine and wanders around. Once she tries to run, its party over.

I gave her the wormer last week, she is still skinny. She is getting super spoiled because I make sure she eats. She scratched out in the garden and hammered 3 big ol earthworms before they even knew what hit them. Im sort of at a loss as she doesn't seem to fit all of the symptoms for mercks or avian en(buncha letters)its

Here is a video and a few pics. If anyone has a clue please let me know. New to chickens and i am stumped. She seems better this week, attitude wise, not so much on the coordination. Thank you all in advance

I would start with giving her vitamins,some deficiencies can cause leg/muscle weakness. Check her for mites/lice,look under wings,base of tail feathers,vent area hard to tell from picture but are her comb/wattles pale?

They aren't pale, but they also are not as dark as the other girls either.

I ordered the water soluble vitamins on line, but is there something I can give her in the mean time in case I can't find them at any if the pet stores?

You could try poly vi sol(without iron) infant vitamins,found in grocery stores/drug stores in baby section. Give her 2-3 drops on her beak per day,so it rolls into her mouth. Lot's of advice regarding use of poly vi sol in chickens on forums.

Last edited:
Thank you very much I will get that today
Something else i give my girls is scrambled eggs(i just scramble in bowl,microwave and scramble again)loaded with vitamins and minerals. Give separate or spread over feed. Not a problem giving eggs as long as they are cooked. No raw eggs may encourage bad habits,like egg eating.

Oh! If you have a tractor supply store or similar nearby they have the water soluble packets and something we used with our chick that super boosted his energy when he wasn't eating very well. Trying to think of the name but they would know at the store. I think it was just super concentrated vitamins that we force fed with a syringe. I'll go see if I can find the bottle with the name on it.

Back
Top Bottom