Multi dose mareks vaccine? And where do you get your coccidiosis doses?

Redheadhomestead

Songster
Jul 4, 2022
Nc 🇺🇸
Hey everyone I think I know the answer to the first part of the question, but I just wanted to check. I don’t stay on the cutting edge of market supply and demand. Is there a multi dose or smaller dose of mareks outside of the cattle supply 1000 chicks vial?

Last I heard manufacturing was hoping to offer something to this new boom in back yard flocks the industry has been experiencing. Just figured I’d ask before I got the large vial.

Also where do you purchase your coccidiosis vaccines, none of the local feed stores carry it. I see valley vet carries a 10k bird vial but it’s like 110! Is this multi use or does it have to be tossed after a hour or so like the mareks vial. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Thank wyorp! I am not selling chicks just adding to existing flock as well as 3-4 other flocks neighbors and friends that enjoy the same hobby and people I’ve gone in on with hatchery orders in the past.

Admittedly I have some more research to do but I’ve read where adding non vaccinated chicks to a vaccinated flock can render them sick from birds carrying mareks but acting fine due to previous vaccine. I’ve also read where not vaccinating against coccidiosis is fairly simple to treat with corid but that in turn would render the vaccine in the previously vaccinated chicks defenseless because of the interaction it has the vaccine or something?

It seems easy enough at 30 dollars to vaccinate for mareks but when I saw the coccidiosis cost that seemed much higher than I’d prefer doing. Especially for a 24 egg incubator run

Any thoughts? I’m welcome to opinions!

The Marek's vaccine may help prevent the formation of tumors, but it does not prevent infection from the virus.

As for vaccinating against Coccidiosis, giving Corid (Amprolium) or another Coccidiostat can cancel the vaccine in young chicks. If I understand it correctly, the vaccine can help with resistance, but chickens usually build natural resistance to the strains found in their environment. The vaccine seems to only cover a few strains that poultry have, so there's no guarantee that it will be effective. https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...m,increased mortality may accompany outbreaks.

The Marek's vaccine may help prevent the formation of tumors, but it does not prevent infection from the virus.

As for vaccinating against Coccidiosis, giving Corid (Amprolium) or another Coccidiostat can cancel the vaccine in young chicks. If I understand it correctly, the vaccine can help with resistance, but chickens usually build natural resistance to the strains found in their environment. The vaccine seems to only cover a few strains that poultry have, so there's no guarantee that it will be effective. https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/coccidiosis/overview-of-coccidiosis-in-poultry#:~:text=Signs of coccidiosis range from,increased mortality may accompany outbreaks.
Yeah I think mareks is fair enough at 30 bucks but the coccidiosis seems to expensive for the value it provides. I’ve read that there’s something like nine strains and just like you said you only get coverage for select few. Who knows the degree of cross reactivity. I think the answer for me is to vaccinate against mareks and let the coccidiosis portion ride

Chicks get exposure and build resistance to the coccidiosis by being exposed to the dirt and poop (yeah, kinda gross). Get them out into the run as soon as safely possible.

Back
Top Bottom