Marek's Disease and Vaccinating...

kaitlyng

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 4, 2013
Our Silkie is hatching chicks and I want to make sure that the babies are vaccinated the same as the rest of our flock. All of the other chickens come from a NPIP certified hatchery, are US pullorium-typhoid free, and received the​
Marek's Disease vaccine.

The chicks are going to be fed Blue Seal Medicated Starter Feed, which contains
amprolium, so we will not need to vaccinate for coccidiosis.

Does anyone know where we can purchase the Marek's Disease Vaccination online?​

I was looking at Jeffers Pet online...has anyone had any experience purchasing from this retailer?​

Also, after purchasing this vaccine, how long is it good for? We are only treating a few chicks, but it says it contains 1000 doses..can we save it and use it for later hatches?​

What size syringe/needle should we use?​

Thanks so much for you help!​

Jeffers is the only place I've found online that sells it. Once you mix the sterile water it needs to be used within an hour. I have cattle vaccine the same way. The label information is on their site. 20-22 gauge needle with 3/8-1/2" length.

Hope this helps.

Jeffers is the only place I've found online that sells it. Once you mix the sterile water it needs to be used within an hour. I have cattle vaccine the same way. The label information is on their site. 20-22 gauge needle with 3/8-1/2" length.

Hope this helps.

Thank you! It kind of stinks that you have to buy so many doses, especially since I only need it for a few chicks.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom