Minimum orders

cresty

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jan 26, 2007
Most places want you to order 25 chicks. My goodness, I don't want 25 chicks. I'd like to get 5 - 7 but would like a variety to choose from. So my question is where do you get chicks if you only want a few but would like to have unusual breeds?

Thanks
Cresty

It is frustrating, isn't it. Call around to your local feed stores and see what theya re getting in. Al ot of them will get in a good vaiety or maybe you can order through them and ask for certain ones. They may let you do that to guarantee the sale.

What I did when ordering a variety that I wanted, 10 chickens of 5 varieties, I filled in my order with the Calif White males at 58cents apiece. I then arranged to give the extras to my feed store that had chicks. You might even be able to work a deal for a bag of feed in return or something. I figured it was just part of the cost of getting what I wanted vs buying the ones at the feed store, usually RIR, or Barred Rocks. I love them both but wanted a different variety.

You can also contact your feed store and often they will order the ones you want to include in their order and the cost is much less. Or is you can find someone nearby you can share an order.

As jimnjay said a feed store is your best bet. When we first starrted with chicks they grouped our order with two or three other people. We got exactly what we wanted though we had to wait until they could get a big enough group together. It was expensive I think by the time they marked it up and the hatchery charged for a bunch or different breeds and marking them it was like 4 or 5 a chick. Oh well,

Chris

I did find a website that said they will ship as few as three. Of course, it costs! They ship them with a heated pad and bump it up to express mail. But the feed store doesn't get a good variety so I may go that way. I have a hatchery close by but I don't know what breeds they have. I plan a trip over there this week before I order from the website. The website (if anyone wants to know) is www.meyerhatchery.com.

Cresty

I had the same problem. What I did was split an order with my sister who also wanted to get chickens of variety. You could find someone to split and order with or you could buy them all yourself and resell the ones you don't want in your local area. Sometimes farm and home stores have bulletin boards next to the door that you can post buy, sell, trade ads on. Hope this helps.

This is the first year, I have ordered babies and I wanted different kinds. I found that cacklehatchery.com has a minimum order of 15 chicks on standard size breeds. That was the number I was supposed to order but I found so many different ones I wanted I got carried away and got more. (I haven't told my hubby yet) OH Well.
Moni

same problem here! I only want one silky
tongue.png
HAHAHA 2 if I have to.

If you are lucky enough to live near a amish family, I think you could work something out. They can usually use the extra birds. It has worked for me in the past.
Just a thought!

bigzio

Ideal? www.ideal-poultry.com The minimum order is $20 which would be, give or take, 10 chicks. You could place an ad in your paper and sell your least favorite extras. You could try the bantam special for a variety, pick the breeds you like the most, and sell the rest. Or you could probably find someone willing to split an order. See if your local feed store has an ad bulletin and post a paper there. Our tractor supply store does, it is free and very handy! I have used it several times with great sucess. One time to sell a flock of chickens, and I got several calls and sold them all in about 3 days. One time to sell a horse, but I was asking probably too much for him, and horses aren't worth crap now. (money-wise) But I got several calls about him. Later on I was able to trade him for the horse I have now. So it is a good thing he didn't sell! Anyways, good luck with whatever you decide. Which breeds in particular are you interested in?

Back
Top Bottom