Chicken math is calling!

😬I ordered 20 chicks that arrived 2/28. 20 was more than I wanted but due to shipping minimums that’s what I ended up with. So to be responsible I sold a few to my neighbor(this was agreed upon at time of order) and then after that had a coworker purchase some. Well chicken math hit my coworker too and they ended up taking more than I thought so now I just have 9left. I just found out my local feed store just had chicks arrive today!
9 is plenty.
I don’t need more than 9 chicks.
My baby is leaving for college this fall so I definitely don’t need that many eggs for just my husband and I.
I do not need any more chicks.
But I ordered marans and I’m pretty positive all those were taken, so I could just go look to see if they have any of those in….
Really, the 9 I have seem healthy, it’s not like I should plan to lose any before they start laying.
But what if some are boys, they are only 90% accurate at sexing them…
9 is fiiiiiiine.
The store probably already sold any marans they had anyway.
9 will be good, I can order again next year.
The store opens at 7 tomorrow…..
:gig :gig

I have 4, which is also enough. . .

Except that 2 of them don't really lay reliably. . .

And 1 is already 4 years old. . .

So I ordered 2 pullets. . .

And they KNEW about chicken math, and sent an email asking me if I wanted a third one, which was SO not fair. . .

So a bigger coop it is, and 7 chickens.

I completely sympathize. There are so many chickens to have, and so little self-control, I mean, TIME. So little TIME.
I had some lovely enablers last spring, I had 13 lovely lawn ornaments then. But the enablers got to me - I just really needed chicks they said!

By summers end I had 30.

Add 2 chicks my Silkie hen just had to hatch out over the winter - and well it’s 32 now.

I wonder if I can get some Brahma - they would be so cute being raised by silkie do t you think? 😊

Lol So funny!

I lost my flock of 31 (I had gotten rid of my last two roos a week or so prior) to raccoons figuring out my auto door during a storm January 3rd. I had a dozen eggs from my flock in the incubator but I was initially hatching them for someone else. I hatched 7 so the lady I was hatching them for agreed we should split them (she'd initially offered to let me keep them all since I'd lost my babies). My frizzle rooster was obviously dominant and 4 of the 7 are frizzy. She agreed to raise them while I modified my coop and hatched a batch of eggs from a friend that I'd gotten hatching eggs from before - and close to half my flock was from eggs from her. Anyway, those eggs hatched and we had 8 babies so I kept 6 and gave my first friend 2. She was looking forward to getting the chicks out of her house so I took my four older ones from her and she took her two from me.

Fast forward a few weeks and I've got all my chickens safely ensconced in my coop 24/7 now - plus 4 I bought from a local breeder so I could get one laying age hen and a couple other breeds I'd wanted but I mostly prefer barnyard mix. I now was back up to 14 birds. I go to church the next Sunday after finally putting away the incubator and cleaning out the brooder box to get it ready to go back outside...and my second friend turns around, hands me a bag with 18 eggs in it, and says I brought you more hatching eggs! Lol. They're due to start hatching Sunday and once they're done hatching my daughter and I will see if there's any bantams in stock at the feed store to raise with them and then we're honestly done with chicks until we're hatching ones just from our flock ;)

Of course out of all this I was able to get my coop remodeling done that I'd wanted to do anyway and now I have 4 built-in brooder cages so I can raise my own babies and after my daughter learned I'd paid $40 for a 4-month old hen she wants to be in charge of that aspect to earn some money buy selling layers.

Back
Top Bottom