Lost and Found

I'm not sure what your local laws are, but where I come from, this person's chickens would be considered a public nuisance since he seems unable or unwilling to keep them in his yard. Sure, we've all had to run down the road from time to time to extract an intrepid hen from a neighbor's compost pile or garden, but that should be the exception. You have done your neighborly duty by returning them. Now that they are back, they are yours, I'd say. Unless they are banded, nicked, or the guy has pictures of himself with them, who really knows whose chickens they are?
Have you made a call to your local Humane Society? If the chickens have frostbite they aren't being provided with adequate shelter (if any). The people may very well have other animals at their house that aren't being cared for either, and perhaps they need a pop-in visit from the county cruelty officer.
Amy

I'm really not happy with these people (to say the least) and they can either knock on my door or kiss my arse and cash the check......

You GO MR DAD!!!!!!

Great idea handing them a check! I was pretty sure those chickens knew where they SHOULD be and they'd come back.

Sandra​

After all this time I have a tendency to agree with you, APBGV. The original owners aren't taking any care of them and they keep coming to someone that does!
So Doom on Them! Keep the birds!

I figured I'd update this thread....

What a roller coaster ride
roll.png

The two that 'came back' are the noisey ones....416 am and 'arootarooo!!!!!!'......this is followed by a repeat call every 10 mins or so...

So far they just run from me when I try to shoo them to the backyard...then they roam about and comeback to 'their bush' at about 1/2 hr from dark.....

The last time (a couple days ago) I saw the female owner she acted as though she didn't see me as I waved to her when she took the corner......

These two are obviously 'the bad news birds'.....

I've decided not to pay them for the birds...the more I read about frostbite the more I feel I may have to pay for help when treating the birds....of course that means I have the birds under control at the time...which has yet to happen....

I don't know what happened to the other three (minus her favorite) but these two seem less comfy around us...they want to sleep under a bush against the house...but don't really seem as friendly as they were....

I will continue to give them food and water...maybe they'll come around.....

Enough time has now past with no effort on the owners part to bring these two 'home' that I won't pay for the birds....it's clear (even to me, the village idiot) they don't want them.....

Last edited:
Quote:
They wander through everyday but they must be sleeping home again because I don't hear them in the morning....and there are now three of them that wander together daily.....

I would have make a stronger case to get them in the backyard again if the rooster didn't give me a bad impression the last few times I've delt with him....I'm sure he's had a tough go of it and is doing his job in his mind but with my young kids I felt the right thing to do was again try to get them back home.......

I moved the water dish closer and closer to their house....and dumped a load of food down there as well.....they come by and scratch the place up everyday and they're welcome out front...but the backyard I'm saving for the day we get our own (officially our own) birds.....

We have a pretty nice spot but we've decided to move futher into the country sooner rather than later and plan to have a whole aray of animals in the future....until then I've decided we should stick to two or three birds of our own this way they can come with us easier when we make the move....

Back
Top Bottom