Just told hubby we need to build a bigger coop

Pics
Then we will shingle it, as that is cheaper then metal...

This surprises me -- unless you mean metal installed over plywood instead on purlins with no plywood underneath.

With the cost of plywood we saved a lot of money by using metal on purlins instead of shingles. Saved a lot of time too -- the metal roof went up in a day with a crew of two men and a boy (15, man-sized and very handy).

0917210948_hdr-copy-jpg.3007393

I *think* you can see the underside reasonably well in this photo.

Note: We blocked between the rafters to make installing wire easier because that ventilation was not needed in our Open Air design. When soffit ventilation is needed you don't put in those blocks. @aart has photos of how to install the wire in that case.

This surprises me -- unless you mean metal installed over plywood instead on purlins with no plywood underneath.

With the cost of plywood we saved a lot of money by using metal on purlins instead of shingles. Saved a lot of time too -- the metal roof went up in a day with a crew of two men and a boy (15, man-sized and very handy).

0917210948_hdr-copy-jpg.3007393

I *think* you can see the underside reasonably well in this photo.

Note: We blocked between the rafters to make installing wire easier because that ventilation was not needed in our Open Air design. When soffit ventilation is needed you don't put in those blocks. @aart has photos of how to install the wire in that case.
Yes, meant metal over plywood...
But to be honest...
We are likely just gonna get a good sized tarp and leave it like that for a bit...unless it proves to not work...

To be building with pallets and some scrap (not all) we've really put a lot of money into it (shocking i know lol) ...me willingly..husband not so willingly bahahaha...

I'd have had the metal or shingles yesterday if it were totally up to me lol

I love the look of your roof, I saw the whole thing on another thread!! WOWZERS!!!

you should have seen us last night on the little roof we were working on lol..neither of us like heights so it was humerous! Plus at least we now know the roof/coop is stable 🤣🤣

I love the look of your roof, I saw the whole thing on another thread!! WOWZERS!!!

Thank you very much.

We spent the extra money on the colored metal with the 50-year guarantee because DH is sensitive to appearance and property values. Around here, metal enough for a smaller chicken coop can often be had for free or low cost as people put their surplus on Craigslist after the project is done.

Thank you very much.

We spent the extra money on the colored metal with the 50-year guarantee because DH is sensitive to appearance and property values. Around here, metal enough for a smaller chicken coop can often be had for free or low cost as people put their surplus on Craigslist after the project is done.
I don't do much on CL or Facebook (don't have facebook)

I'll have to give it a look though thank you!

I don't do much on CL or Facebook (don't have facebook)

I'll have to give it a look though thank you!
Someone just offered me 3-5 pieces of metal. 8 or 10 ft long ..hes not sure how long they are...but yay!!

Also I have a pallet addiction...
Hoping to utilize them in another build...

Attachments

• 20220731_150734.jpg
    20220731_150734.jpg
    356.6 KB · Views: 3
Raccoons are known to be able to open those. :(
I can barely open them!?!
I have to hit it quite hard to get it to come out...my 9yo COULDNT open it..doubt a racoon is stronger than my 9yo?? Idk

It's super snug, and up high enough off the ground and the roost going around the coop...

Plus no racoon sighting in a long while, since we took care of the last one a ways back...

We are gonna give them a go!

(Not that I am not concerned abt racoon, but I have felt the strength it takes to get it open!)

Thanks so much for the concern!!

You've been great help to me even through other posts! I hope you keep posting solid advice!

Back
Top Bottom