Is it possible for a rooster to be sterile?

chickenchickenbulkbulk

Songster
11 Years
Jul 9, 2008
OHIO
I have hatched out 3 clutches this spring. Not 1 chick has been a Buff..the rooster is over a year and I have him 6 hens...I have seen him with them. I had them in there own coop for breeding purposes. The sad thing is I bought 2 and decided to keep the biggest one and gave the other one away. I believe I kept the wrong one. Is this common in roosters? DJ Any one have a fertile BO they want to sell?

Yes, roosters can definately be sterile. I have a friend who just incubated 4 dozen of her eggs and not one developed. The easiest way to tell is crack and egg and look for the bullseye.

Is there more the one roo together? If there is the other roo could be preventing him from breeding them. That happens alot with my 2 roos (Black Cochin and a BO, both are banties) although I usually have between 1 and 4 light chicks.

Have you tried trimmimg the feathers away from the reproductive organs on him? Sometimes there is a little too much fluff to get the job done. If this is a really well behaved roo that you want to keep it would be worth a try anyway.

I will check to see if he has too much fluff. I really like this rooster, he is beautiful. I hope that is all, but I will check for the bulls eye..Forgot about that. He is the only rooster in the coop with his hens. I have tried to incubate probably 50 plus eggs of the BO and not one baby. If he is sterile..it is a shame. I had even sold some thinking they were sterile. I will have to find out if they hatched if not I will have to make good on them. That makes me feel bad, but I had no idea. He is over a year old. He looked like he was with the hens.
idunno.gif
Thanks for the advice. DJ

Back
Top Bottom