International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Hi RedBank

I m going back for the second round about your cockerel number 2 photos 3;

TYPE = great
Mass = Great
Poster = Great ( same poster we see in the standard page - the drawing -)

HEAD = solid and bright ,nice color.
Eyes = nice color.
Comb = bad serration causing t to split in the middle ( the dents aren t at the same level ) the first 3 dents aren t well serrated ending up higher than the last 3 large one on the back.
wattles = nice shape, texture and form.free from any folding .
Ears lobs = nice medium size and well colored ( same color to the rest of the head )
Eras tufts = nice coppery color ( same color to the hackle )
Beak = Solid nicely formed. nice dark horn color.

NECK = Solid ,well erected and curved at the top . lush a good color BUT NOT GREAT upper part good coppery color but the bottom part too light ( Gold ) and heavy flamed ( a little flame at the lower part - nice and thin - are accepted ) No HEAVY Flame lake the salmon Rooster.

BODY= Well build and put together. showing sign of strength and meaty type.without fluff well tucked in.
BACK = long ,flat and well tilted , nice width at the shoulders . well colored (still young ).
Lancet = lush and well colored .
Tail = great form and shape .wide at the base , nice and closed at the top ( not open ) GREAT angle .
FEET = solid ,strait, well erected and feathered ,nice size and color - light slate with a some pinkish at the rear and toes .
SHOULDER. wide and nice rich red color ( mahogany ).
CHEST = well meaty and balanced NOT too high neither low or sticking out.

FEATHERS= well tucked in .
the upper black part with sheen and the lower part ( chest ,abdomen ,and rear ) are flat Flack free from sheen and fawn color.

REAR = I can not see properly from the photos. need better ones PLEASE

Chooks man

Hi RedBank

I m going back for the second round about your cockerel number 2 photos 3;

TYPE = great
Mass = Great
Poster = Great ( same poster we see in the standard page - the drawing -)

HEAD = solid and bright ,nice color.
Eyes = nice color.
Comb = bad serration causing t to split in the middle ( the dents aren t at the same level ) the first 3 dents aren t well serrated ending up higher than the last 3 large one on the back.
wattles = nice shape, texture and form.free from any folding .
Ears lobs = nice medium size and well colored ( same color to the rest of the head )
Eras tufts = nice coppery color ( same color to the hackle )
Beak = Solid nicely formed. nice dark horn color.

NECK = Solid ,well erected and curved at the top . lush a good color BUT NOT GREAT upper part good coppery color but the bottom part too light ( Gold ) and heavy flamed ( a little flame at the lower part - nice and thin - are accepted ) No HEAVY Flame lake the salmon Rooster.

BODY= Well build and put together. showing sign of strength and meaty type.without fluff well tucked in.
BACK = long ,flat and well tilted , nice width at the shoulders . well colored (still young ).
Lancet = lush and well colored .
Tail = great form and shape .wide at the base , nice and closed at the top ( not open ) GREAT angle .
FEET = solid ,strait, well erected and feathered ,nice size and color - light slate with a some pinkish at the rear and toes .
SHOULDER. wide and nice rich red color ( mahogany ).
CHEST = well meaty and balanced NOT too high neither low or sticking out.

FEATHERS= well tucked in .
the upper black part with sheen and the lower part ( chest ,abdomen ,and rear ) are flat Flack free from sheen and fawn color.

REAR = I can not see properly from the photos. need better ones PLEASE

Chooks man

Thanks Chooks man,

I appreciate your comments. With this cockerel's comb and light colored heavy flamed hackle would you eliminate him from breeding. If you answer no to that question, how would you correct those faults in future generations.

I think there is a quote that goes around something like build the house first then paint it. Get the structure right then worry about the color but it seems that is different in BCM.

Last edited:
Hi RedBank;

Don t take me wrong . I just been so hard on him because he s sublime. what I mentioned about his hackle is a little lighter with heavy flamed and bad comb serration aren t a major fault. they are his weakest point if he enter the Show Ring.

as a breeder he is going hard to beet. Like I said before he could be bred just for his type forget about the rest.

I ll breed him tell he die for sure. I ll mate him to =
1) Black hens = he will put hackles on his girls .Black hens will darken the hackles giving t nice coppery color.
2) BC hens with a nice serrated comb .

AND I LL USE HIM OVER EVERY Black copper ,Blue copper and Splash copper hens I have if I had him

for you is different story .you are working with sport cars the standard is higher .

Forget about building a house and paint t after. you all ready have a nice house and well painted .just maintain t and make t prettier that all .

let them grow more and see how they turn up when adult.

between the First rooster from the start of the thread and this 2 cockerels you don t need any BCM rooster for the next 3 years.

need a better photos of his brother he have a nice comb and gorgeous copper. I need to see more.

chooks man

Black copper marans color genes relation ;

Black copper marans is a black chook with 2 added colors ;The copper and The Red.'

Copper ; is sex linked .So the rooster will have 2 copies s+/s+ First s+ is related to the hackle ,the second s+ is related to the back ,lancet and ears tuft.
the hen have only one copies .So she is s+/- the second s+ is not express ,that why the hen have only coppery hackle the rest is black.

Red ; Shoulder color and the chest marking are both Autossomal Red ( other world is not sex linked ).

when we understand the relation between this genes and how they work together we will breed nicely marked BCM Rooster and Hens.

Example 1= BCM rooster well marked BUT with a pure black chest NO marking ( chest marking is AR ) .can we breed from him . YES in 2 condition ;
1st condition = Because the chest marking is Autossomal Red AR a same as the shoulders. than the last one ( shoulders ) has to be rich Mahogany NOT LIGHT RED to insure we have enough Red in the make up ( just not express on the chest )

2end Condition = we now the rooster is licking a balance with the AR genes SO you have to make sure the Sex linked gold is intact . to know that the EARS tufts has to be nice rich coppery color.

So the answer is yes we can breed a nicely marked BCM rooster without chest marking as long as the shoulder are Rich Mahogany and the tufts are nice coppery colored .

Red rich shoulder + coppery ears tufts = large portion of the progeny will be nicely marked

that is one Example in the relation between the genes .

Hi RedBank;

Don t take me wrong . I just been so hard on him because he s sublime. what I mentioned about his hackle is a little lighter with heavy flamed and bad comb serration aren t a major fault. they are his weakest point if he enter the Show Ring.

as a breeder he is going hard to beet. Like I said before he could be bred just for his type forget about the rest.

I ll breed him tell he die for sure. I ll mate him to =
1) Black hens = he will put hackles on his girls .Black hens will darken the hackles giving t nice coppery color.
2) BC hens with a nice serrated comb .

AND I LL USE HIM OVER EVERY Black copper ,Blue copper and Splash copper hens I have if I had him

for you is different story .you are working with sport cars the standard is higher .

Forget about building a house and paint t after. you all ready have a nice house and well painted .just maintain t and make t prettier that all .

let them grow more and see how they turn up when adult.

between the First rooster from the start of the thread and this 2 cockerels you don t need any BCM rooster for the next 3 years.

need a better photos of his brother he have a nice comb and gorgeous copper. I need to see more.

chooks man

Laughing...... thanks Chooks Man, I went outside and took some more pictures for you.

This is the light hackle flame boy, we will call him cockerel 2.

Back
Top Bottom