International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

RedBanks, Just a heads up for you, Not all Countrys have the same SOP for the Marans, With this being an Internatioal thread you might want to check into the other SOP. With the other threads we have always went with the APA SOP since that was where most of the people were from.

Good Luck with the thread, Don
Thank you Don.

Last edited:
Quote:
Copied from the French Marans Club website (Standard approved by the “Entente Européenne des Standards”, organisation for the coordination of pure breed poultry standards. A- GENERALITIES Origin MARANS, town on the Atlantic coast, near La Rochelle (France). Characteristics of hatching eggs The eggs should be large, ranging in size from about 65 grams for a pullet to 70-80 grams for an adult hen. To have a deep dark red-brown coloured shell. Leg ring diameter Cock: 22 millimetres Hen : 20 millimetres Weights Cock: 3,5 to 4,0 kilos Hen: 2,6 to 3,2 kilos Cockerel: 3,0 to 3,5 kilos Pullet: 2,2 to 2,6 kilos B – IDEAL TYPE AND OBJECTIVE TO REACH A well built bird, of average size. Plumage held close to the body. Giving an impression of strength without looking heavy and awkward. The best eggs must be very big and a dark-brown colour. C – STANDARD: General appearance: Cock: Body : strong, fairly long and wide especially near the shoulders which are held high. Neck : long, fairly strong, tending to curve in on top towards the skull; the hackles are made of many long and abundant feathers covering the shoulders well Back : long, flat, slightly concave towards the rear Saddle : large, slightly raised but not rounded, covered with many lancets Breast : strong and large Abdomen : well developed Wings : short , kept close to the body Tail : strong at its base, quite short, fairly up without going over 45 ° Head : average size, slightly flat and long Comb : simple, of an average size, with a fairly rough texture. Sharp edges. The lobe not touching the nape Wattles : average size, red with a fine texture Ear-lobes : average size, red and long Face : red coloured with or without down Eyes : bright, with a orangey-red iris Beak : Quite strong, slightly hooked and horn-coloured Shanks : big, without vulture hocks Tarsi : average size, with some feathers white or lightly pink coloured for all the varieties except for the BLACK, BROWN-RED and BIRCHEN Marans were grey or dark grey is permitted, although not preferred, for both sexes. Four long and well separated toes with the outer one sparsely feathered. The claws are white or horn- coloured Hen: Smaller than the cock, with a large, strong and more rounded body, a straighter back line, a well developed abdomen , and a fine comb, straight or inclined only in the rear part. The BROWN-RED VARIETY (Also called Black Copper-neck, Black Copper, Copper Black & Red Birchen) Cock : Black-breasted red, with parsimonious red spotting on the breast. Having a black wing triangle. The red markings are not to be yellow or mahogany. Copper coloured lancets in the neck hackle & the back. Deep red shoulders. Hen : Black with red hackle markings but without the typical Birchen breast lacing. Very slight red breast marking is acceptable. Green sheen is not required.

Last edited:
Quote:
I rehomed that cockerel this morning. I have two more a couple of months younger that I like better. Better tails, a lot of color. I will post pictures. I rehomed 6 BCM cockerels this morning.

Thank you RedBank you done all the hard work . all clear and nice to fellow .

here the thing are going on with a BCM all over the world even in France. but we don t admit t and fix t.
we seem to forget that the Black Langshan has contributed in the making of the Marans.
BLACK LANGSHAN is Extended Black E. that why they have and they need to have a black seen.

the Black copper marans are a mixture some are ER based chooks .they are the pure one and the one to select for.

the E based chooks have a black sheen and mostly over colored and without /little copper.

the hatch down of the chicks are different too.

shanks colors are different

head marking ( white spots) when young.

all this a little things will help us to breed a pure ER BCM chooks

the one ho could breed a pure BCM in the old day they knew what they where doing.every thing is done for us. we simply have to breed a lot of chooks and find the one s they fit the standard.

chooks man

that great some body going to use them ( just for they purity)

we will always have a chooks with fault coming along. the only difference is the percentage.that all .

well worked line still produce faulty bird but a very small percentage

Newly paired line will produce a lot of faulty chooks even if the parent ( P1) stock are faultless . low off nature . GENE OVER CROSSING . DOMINANCE GENETIC PATH .

RedBank you are very good at copy and piste this thing. CAN you do for us the color of the hatch down of the BCM and the Black marans chicks from the Australian Marans Club ( Note on Breeding ). they are the same one as the ones in the files of the Club Marans of France MCF.

Because it is the first thing we see after they hatch .first selection

Thanks for the hard ward you are putting in.

the French Black copper marans chooks are in a good hand.

cheers.
Chooks man

Hi Chickengr.

your cockerel and pullet have a nice feathered shanks . the cockerel has more than a pullet .

the cockerel is a good type .good mass. and nice flat long back .nice coppery feathers coming along .that great.

the pullet is far I can not see her hackle ,need a good photos of them close up from different angle .

Cheers.

Chooks man

my pullet luna is still too dark. her hackle is copper but under her beak and her chest is pure black. I don't know if she will get some copper there. her mom was too dark as well. luna has more copper.

that great some body going to use them ( just for they purity)

we will always have a chooks with fault coming along. the only difference is the percentage.that all .

well worked line still produce faulty bird but a very small percentage

Newly paired line will produce a lot of faulty chooks even if the parent ( P1) stock are faultless . low off nature . GENE OVER CROSSING . DOMINANCE GENETIC PATH .

RedBank you are very good at copy and piste this thing. CAN you do for us the color of the hatch down of the BCM and the Black marans chicks from the Australian Marans Club ( Note on Breeding ). they are the same one as the ones in the files of the Club Marans of France MCF.

Because it is the first thing we see after they hatch .first selection

Thanks for the hard ward you are putting in.

the French Black copper marans chooks are in a good hand.

cheers.
Chooks man
Black Copper Hatch Down picture from the French Marans Australia site
ER%20hatch%20down.jpg

There were no pics of Black, just Birchen.

Last edited:
Thanks RedBank for link.

Chickengr don t to worry too much about your pullet Luna .she looked good to me in the other photo you posted to me. for her age she have enough copper on the upper part of her hackle. she will get more.

top of the neck under the head should be black . her chest should have a spot of copper but without is not a fault . she s good I can tell .

Marco he coloring ok for his age too . but we have to wait tell they grow up.

chooks man

RedBank you posted a wrong chicks photos. those are the E Extended Black I refer too before.

you what the ER Bichen chicks hatch down ( with more ore less white ) short hatch down and brownish head( not necessary but a good indication _ same like a copper dot on the head. both sign of purity of the ER ) no too much white ( penguin type - they are more of the E chicks - and they Black when Adult is with sheen ). if they are penguin type than the white has to me minimum

my friends breeders of Australorp and Black Langsham chooks ,both are E based birds. they select for the penguin type chicks hatch down .they get nice shiny Black chooks gorgeous for the show.

I want to see the lady how imported the marans chooks from the UK and she had chicks just hatched ( they where English cuckoo. BCM and BLCM both French lines.)

the cuckoo chicks they have a longer hatch down and they where a lot penguin type E based bird ( no hackle on the Adult hen) BUT the BCM and Blue CM they where more blackish and with a shorter hatch down pure ER.

the parents stock are solid great type chooks .I can t wait tell I get them .

I have to wait 7 more weeks ( she sale them at 8 weeks old) to get them. they are totally different than the one I have now ( mixture of every thing possible ).

chooks man

Back
Top Bottom