I need help/advice

Kalatayla

Hatching
May 5, 2024
So my dogs just got into my brooder pen and killed all 8 of my chickens and I need some advice on how to cope with it. I feel so bad and I'm so mad at the dogs but I don't know how to cope with the loss of my flock since I'm not supposed to punish the dogs... I just feel absolutely terrible for my poor chickens and I know what I need to do to prevent it from happening again and everything I just don't know how to be okay after this or how long it will take.. is there a certain amount of time I need to wait to try again? Do I try to train the dogs around other poultry before getting more? Do I try not to be mad at the dogs for doing it? 😢

So my dogs just got into my brooder pen and killed all 8 of my chickens and I need some advice on how to cope with it. I feel so bad and I'm so mad at the dogs but I don't know how to cope with the loss of my flock since I'm not supposed to punish the dogs... I just feel absolutely terrible for my poor chickens and I know what I need to do to prevent it from happening again and everything I just don't know how to be okay after this or how long it will take.. is there a certain amount of time I need to wait to try again? Do I try to train the dogs around other poultry before getting more? Do I try not to be mad at the dogs for doing it? 😢
So sorry this happened. I don't have dogs so I can't give you any real advice, but I have lost chickens and know how devastating it feels.
:hugs

After you get your poultry area secure, not just your dogs know how fun and tasty chickens are, then get birds again. Some people will tell you to beat the dogs with a dead chicken, then tie bird to collar til it falls off. May not be something you are comfortable with. The dogs do need to know they did a bad thing. They also need to be restrained away from getting to the birds and only turned loose or on leash when you are out. Keep in mind there are some breeds of dogs that don't mix well with poultry, ever. Almost every dog is going to Love playing with the feathered squeaky toys until they are taught better.

I'm sorry about your chicks.:hugs It's understandable to be mad at the dogs but it truly wasn't their fault. They didn't know any better.
Some people will say that dogs are chicken eaters for life once they've tasted chicken but others have successfully retrained their dogs. It depends on how much work you want to do.
If and when you feel up to getting chicks again, you need to make sure the brooder is dog proof. Maybe keep it in a room with a door to make sure no dogs can get in there. Then you slowly introduce each dog to the chicks, on a leash and maybe with a muzzle. Here's a good article for training a dog to be nice to chickens, hope it helps!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-to-be-trustworthy-around-your-poultry.78407/

Sorry about your flock. If and when your ready, post some pics of your brooder pen, (how and where the dogs got in) and we'll help you get all your enclosures and coops Fort Knox secure.

When your ready. ♥️

Back
Top Bottom