Can I get some help from someone with careless neighbours who own dogs.

This may now be moot but it might be helpful for future situations:

You install underground electric fencing to keep your OWN dog(s) confined, not your neighbor's. Once installed, YOUR dog wears the collar that administers a mild electric shock if he crosses the boundary. So it's not applicable in this situation.

ETA: And it takes the place of a physical fence.
We offered the same so our neighbors dogs wouldn't keep getting loose but they let them out so we bought kennels and just held the dogs until they come to get them. They waited weeks at a time hoping we'd get tired of feeding them.We didn't. We still have all 4

We offered the same so our neighbors dogs wouldn't keep getting loose but they let them out so we bought kennels and just held the dogs until they come to get them. They waited weeks at a time hoping we'd get tired of feeding them.We didn't. We still have all 4
This went on for 3 years. One was even hit by a car once and hopped around on 3 legs for 5 months

We have Underground electric fencing for our dogs (Invisible Fence) and for our first seven dogs it worked great. Our eighth dog, a shelter mutt, decided that killing our chickens was more important that getting zapped by the strongest collar possible. We added a Ft. Knox physical fence, with electric tape on top, and the IF three feet inside of the 'wall', and it worked great.
Until, years later, the 'motherboard' died, we didn't know it, and another rescue dog dug out and killed many of our chickens, in about an hour, one very sad day. Everything was fixed, and all has been fine since. Our job as owners is to keep our critters contained!
Many/ most dogs will respect a good underground system, but not all.
Mary

We have Underground electric fencing for our dogs (Invisible Fence) and for our first seven dogs it worked great. Our eighth dog, a shelter mutt, decided that killing our chickens was more important that getting zapped by the strongest collar possible. We added a Ft. Knox physical fence, with electric tape on top, and the IF three feet inside of the 'wall', and it worked great.
Until, years later, the 'motherboard' died, we didn't know it, and another rescue dog dug out and killed many of our chickens, in about an hour, one very sad day. Everything was fixed, and all has been fine since. Our job as owners is to keep our critters contained!
Many/ most dogs will respect a good underground system, but not all.
Mary
None of them ever worked for my own dogs but because the op repairs this fence regularly I figured I'd throw that out there.We installed a fence for our neighbors dog because he worked all the time out of town.His wife still let the dogs out after we built a fence for them.We invested close to a $1000 in kennels,dog houses,collars and food to save the dogs and keep our chickens safe after one was hit by a car.We never fell out or had any differences because they knew we were concerned for the dogs welfare too.We still have the dogs

Its not that they are invited to attend a mediation session. They come to the houses where a problem occurred. And first of all listen to the story of both parties individually.

If an outsider comes to your house who has some authority but is not police it might work. It often works in my country.
That is a excellent way of doing it. I wish it was that way in Australia.

My Sheltie, Sammy, ran through the IF once. ONCE. Has not gone near the opening since. Even though the trash truck broke it and it doesn't even work now. He used to run up the road chasing every vehicle that came through the property. No more. Nevermore.
I went with a friend to buy a horse. We couldn't see any horses until we got out of the car. It was then that we noticed there was no fencing and 6 horse running toward us from a dam downhill. We didn't have time to do anything but stand there in the open. Suddenly the horses dead-stopped. The seller then emerged laughing, " we never get tired of that trick." The horses had been so well trained by the fence that they no longer needed any fence. Pretty cool.

Back
Top Bottom