I cant figure out what is happening to my chickens

Yaaayy theres chickens in this.
nooo they have a disease.
I feel bad for you, if any of them get anything other diseases, you got a problem on your hands. Let’s hope that you can get a Necropsy done for your chickens to see what it truly is.
Ask the experts on here so they can help.
Im so tore up about it. I have to figure out whats wrong. And if it is Mareks, I dont even know what to do. Most likely my whole flock of 3 years have it now. Im just ... frustrated and sad and overwhelmed now.

I haven’t seen Mareks in my large coop with about like 50-60 chickens in it. I have experienced Coccidiosis with a Splay-legged mess of a chicken. (It lived for around 4 or 5 months with splay.) However, that little dude passed on sadly. I’m gonna start to rant about my chickens dying and stuff sooner or later. R.I.P all of the chickens that have died on you, me, and many, many other people.

Edit: We have had them for about 10 yrs now.

I haven’t seen Mareks in my large coop with about like 50-60 chickens in it. I have experienced Coccidiosis with a Splay-legged mess of a chicken. (It lived for around 4 or 5 months with splay.) However, that little dude passed on sadly. I’m gonna start to rant about my chickens dying and stuff sooner or later. R.I.P all of the chickens that have died on you, me, and many, many other people.

Edit: We have had them for about 10 yrs now.
So you had coccidiosis with a symptom of splayed leg?

I am trying to get more info on Mareks. I am having a hard time thinking this is what it is. But of course I am not ruling it out. I am now wondering if it could be a coccidiosis outbreak from the new chicks I received. Other than the leg on that one chicken, I cant find any other symptoms of Mareks. No eye changing, bloody poo, anything.
Of course Ive done a mess of reading about it and Mareks can develop in all sorts of ways.
Weirdly, I am hoping this is Coccidiosis instead. Way easier to treat imo.

Oh yeah, I wouldnt want to sell anything to effect anyone else. I live in Scottsville KY. How do you go about getting a necrosy report done. How much is it? How do you transport a potentially ill chicken there? I have never looked into this and never thought I would have to...
Check with you state lab (links below) often times they have FedEx label or number you can use to ship a bird to them. Give them a call an discuss how they want a bird shipped.
Labs in your state:
http://vdl.uky.edu/
https://breathitt.murraystate.edu/

How To:https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-to-send-a-bird-for-a-necropsy-pictures.799747/

Update!
As if by some miracle, I went into the coop today to check on the one who has extreme weight loss and saw this under her cage! Confirmed worms! FINALLY!
So, what kind of worms are these? What is the best otc wormer to give them?
Everytime I start to panic that I ruined everything I worked for by being negligent or ignorant, it seems the universe always gives me a sign to "calm down".

**Sorry for the gross poo pictures. I have her in a cage with a open bottom, so every day theres a huge pile of poo underneath that I need to deal with. **

20181204_102412.jpg

20181204_102425.jpg

Update!
As if by some miracle, I went into the coop today to check on the one who has extreme weight loss and saw this under her cage! Confirmed worms! FINALLY!
So, what kind of worms are these? What is the best otc wormer to give them?
Everytime I start to panic that I ruined everything I worked for by being negligent or ignorant, it seems the universe always gives me a sign to "calm down".

**Sorry for the gross poo pictures. I have her in a cage with a open bottom, so every day theres a huge pile of poo underneath that I need to deal with. **

View attachment 1607462
View attachment 1607463
No worries about the photos! Very helpful:)
Looks like a roundworm to me.

I would get either Valbazen or Safeguard (Fenbdendazole), both can usually be found at stores like Tractor Supply and online.

Dosage for Valbazen is 1/2ml given orally then repeat in 10 days.
and
Dosage for Safeguard is .23ml per pound of weight given orally for 5 days in a row.

No worries about the photos! Very helpful:)
Looks like a roundworm to me.

I would get either Valbazen or Safeguard (Fenbdendazole), both can usually be found at stores like Tractor Supply and online.

Dosage for Valbazen is 1/2ml given orally then repeat in 10 days.
and
Dosage for Safeguard is .23ml per pound of weight given orally for 5 days in a row.
Wonderful! Thanks so much! I guess, since once has them the rest of my flock does as well, so I am going to worm the rest of them too. What is the egg withdrawl period for this medication. Would you know?

Back
Top Bottom