I am going to be having some chickens at my new house need help with a coop design

2 sq ft per bird may work for bantams ... I'd suggest atleast 5 sq ft per chicken in the coop ... atleast 20 sq ft per chicken in a run ...

You gonna want a "Large" size ... at above link.

Try not to think in terms of coop space versus run space in isolation. Chickens don't understand the concepts of coop space or run space, they just know if they have the total space they need when they need it. How you manage them and give them access to outside can make a difference. If you like to sleep in on mornings instead of letting them out of the coop pretty early you might need more room in the coop than otherwise.

The climate where you are going can have a big effect on how much room you need. If they have access to the outside practically every day of the year then you may not need as much coop room as you would if they are stuck inside for days on end because of the weather. This is typically winter time. So we know climate, where are you moving to?

Many building materials come in standard 4' or 8' dimensions. If you are buying new you can often save cutting and waste by basing your build on those dimensions. Your roof will need a slope so rainwater runs off, that slope requires longer materials than for walls. Cut-offs can often be used to build nests or such. You will never get by without some cutting and waste but maybe you can minimize that.

I encourage you to go bigger than you think you need. I find the more I crowd them the more behavioral problems I have to deal with, the harder I have to work, and the less flexibility I have to address issues. Don't underestimate the benefit of flexibility, that can be a great stress reducer when something unexpected happens.

Good luck, it sounds like an adventure.

Hi i am going to be moving from a apartment to a house here in the next couple months i am looking for a coop to hold a few chickens in a big or small space i want it to hold around 20 or so chickens maybe
Congrats on moving out of apartments. I hate living amongst people with little to no privacy.

Back
Top Bottom