How to determine when a Rooster is too Rough

Nicci0110

Songster
Mar 15, 2023
Senatobia, MS
I am new to this. I have a group of 6 Rhode Island Reds. 3 of those are RIR Mixes. The group has one Rooster, he is full RIR. They are 14 weeks old. I hadn't intended to keep a rooster but really loved him. He is becoming a little bit of an A$$hole though. He pecks the ladies when they try to eat and even steps on them. Is this just me being overly sensitive and normal behavior for him? He also poofs himself up HUGE when he sees my smaller chickens who I am about to begin integrating in. I plan to put them in a separate enclosure that they can look at them through for a while first but he just seems to be such a butthead I am wondering if it will ever work. Should I give him a chance and see or start looking to rehome him now? He is still very well behaved with me but seeing him pick on my favorite lady is hard to watch. She is CLEARLY at the bottom of the pecking order which is fine. She is very timid and just kind of stays back until everyone else is done doing whatever and she comes in for leftovers usually.

He is still a teenager, and hormones are driving him a bit nutty. It may become necessary to separate him from the pullets until they mature and start laying.
Any suggestion on when it is actually too much? For now they are not being hurt or anything just bullied. He must always be first in EVERYTHING

It's easier to raise cockerels in a flock of mature hens and at least one rooster, who all help teach polite behavior to the youngsters. Having them eat humble pie is a very good thing! your cockerel is overbearing and has nobody to squelch is obnoxiousness. At least move him out of the pen for a while, or move him on and try again when you have mature hens.
With plenty of space, hiding places, multiple feeders and waterers, and free range time (that extra space!) things might work out for him, as long as there he's not actually injuring any of your pullets, and he is respectful of the humans he encounters.
This is a learning experience for all of you! It takes experience to recognize early signs of human aggression too.
Mary

It's easier to raise cockerels in a flock of mature hens and at least one rooster, who all help teach polite behavior to the youngsters. Having them eat humble pie is a very good thing! your cockerel is overbearing and has nobody to squelch is obnoxiousness. At least move him out of the pen for a while, or move him on and try again when you have mature hens.
With plenty of space, hiding places, multiple feeders and waterers, and free range time (that extra space!) things might work out for him, as long as there he's not actually injuring any of your pullets, and he is respectful of the humans he encounters.
This is a learning experience for all of you! It takes experience to recognize early signs of human aggression too.
Mary
They have recently started free ranging all day. This behavior was in their run at feeding time this morning. I am not really sure how I can separate him for now but will speak to my husband about this and see if we can come up with a plan. I think I just assumed if they were raised together, they would just fall into place. But no, he is definitely not injuring anyone or he would be gone already. Just being a jerk and pecking. He has always been a pecker. I thought he was a girl when I got him and named him Henny Penny Peckerhead. We he has lived up to the peckerhead name for sure. He still knows my husband and I are the boss as we frequently pick him up and require him to submit to us which happens pretty quickly.

Any suggestion on when it is actually too much? For now they are not being hurt or anything just bullied. He must always be first in EVERYTHING
I had one just like yours, it got to the point where we shot him in the head, he survived it which was a miracle. He is pretty calmed down now, he is quite old and is now super sweet. Give your rooster some time and it will calm down. I also agree with Sourland's first post, it can also be caused during the spring when it is young.

I had one just like yours, it got to the point where we shot him in the head, he survived it which was a miracle. He is pretty calmed down now, he is quite old and is now super sweet. Give your rooster some time and it will calm down. I also agree with Sourland's first post, it can also be caused during the spring when it is young.
Any idea how hard it would be to purchase a grown Rooster to integrate? I really now want one for protection reasons. I know I need to wait until they start laying and may keep Penny until then and make my decision then

Any idea how hard it would be to purchase a grown Rooster to integrate? I really now want one for protection reasons. I know I need to wait until they start laying and may keep Penny until then and make my decision then
They start laying? who is they? The roosters? Roosters do not lay eggs (correct me if I interpreted that wrong) Also from personal experience, roosters can be hard to find for purchase, and are usually sold because they are mean, which is exactly what in your case, you dont want. You could try hatching some eggs and see if you get a rooster out of it. Thats how I got all of mine. 6 right now, they get along well. And like I said, i reccomend you just give them some time.

They start laying? who is they? The roosters? Roosters do not lay eggs (correct me if I interpreted that wrong) Also from personal experience, roosters can be hard to find for purchase, and are usually sold because they are mean, which is exactly what in your case, you dont want. You could try hatching some eggs and see if you get a rooster out of it. Thats how I got all of mine. 6 right now, they get along well. And like I said, i reccomend you just give them some time.
No my other 5 (they are hens) The people above mentioned he may calm down when they are laying
I also have 7 other girls that are almost 6 weeks that I plan to start integrating soon. This situation may be the end of him then.

Back
Top Bottom