How to handle my roosters fighting?

Is your younger roo about a year old? He is just hitting a maturity that makes a challenge to the established roo a possibility. This is normal behavior. Personally I usually let my boys work it out on their own. A fight is going to cause a few ruffled feathers and even a bit of blood. Things I watch for that would cause me to interfere would be a roo that is clearly losing, but will not retreat, or a winning roo who will not allow a defeated roo to retreat. It is normal for them to scuffle off and on for a few days.
In my experience after less than a week the scuffling stops. Sometimes the older roo continues to reign, but on occasion the younger roo is over the older in the pecking order. Older hens tend to still follow the older roo either way.

I had the same, for 1,5 years both roos got a long fine, one day on the other the youngster decided to pick a fight with the old one.
First I recognized not what happened cause he only stressed out in the coop, outside with much more space the were fine. The old one got very tired and I separated him, thinking he was ill.

I introduced some additional chicks after a couple of days, when the old returned, everything seemed fine for a couple of weeks or so. Then I found both roos literally in a bloody fight, the old one refugeeing in a heap of palets. I separated them, both with their own flock but they kept going at another through the wire mesh. I had to separate with a distance and finally I found a new home for the younger one.

I think once a particular level of agression is passed, it might be difficult to accept another.
So the amerucana is in the small coop in the big coop run. I just happen to be out here when the Brahma comes in and they are in a crowing war and occasionally pecking through the wire. Walking eachother back and fourth but not really like going at it hard no spurs are flying. I pushed the brahama out after 5 mins.

Is this a good sign? The No spurs flying ?

Do they all typically sleep in the same coop? Is the run open at night for them to go in whenever they want?
Yes they all sleep together. The amerucana WAS scared of my Brahma. He was the last to roost at night and first out into the run. Always dodging the Brahma until the automatic door opened and then they both went their separate ways into the yard with their group of ladies.

Is your younger roo about a year old? He is just hitting a maturity that makes a challenge to the established roo a possibility. This is normal behavior. Personally I usually let my boys work it out on their own. A fight is going to cause a few ruffled feathers and even a bit of blood. Things I watch for that would cause me to interfere would be a roo that is clearly losing, but will not retreat, or a winning roo who will not allow a defeated roo to retreat. It is normal for them to scuffle off and on for a few days.
In my experience after less than a week the scuffling stops. Sometimes the older roo continues to reign, but on occasion the younger roo is over the older in the pecking order. Older hens tend to still follow the older roo either way.
I wanna say my Amerucana is a year and a half. The only other time my roosters have fought was when a hen hatched out 1 chick and I bought 5 more for it to grow up with. Again one of the chicks ended up being a rooster. At 10 weeks old I realized this and regimes him. Which now is the same age as my young birds I have today.

Maybe I have a rooster in the group and they can tell?
Maybe that’s why they are battling it out?

8EB69AB4-50BD-4C34-A90A-E88CBC3DF62B.jpeg

Yes they all sleep together. The amerucana WAS scared of my Brahma. He was the last to roost at night and first out into the run. Always dodging the Brahma until the automatic door opened and then they both went their separate ways into the yard with their group of ladies.
They may not be able to settle their differences then. I have several boys, and more than once, I've had an older male become exiled from the coop by a younger male. They still get along once exiled during the day, but if they can't find somewhere to sleep seperate (used to be in the run, now his group sleeps in a shed) then they continue to bicker because the younger male is always being encroached by the older one

So the amerucana is in the small coop in the big coop run. I just happen to be out here when the Brahma comes in and they are in a crowing war and occasionally pecking through the wire. Walking eachother back and fourth but not really like going at it hard no spurs are flying. I pushed the brahama out after 5 mins.

Is this a good sign? The No spurs flying ?
It's better than bloodshed, to observe. Mine were on and off for several weeks until I separated them, but when they fought severely the older one lost half of his comb. Didn't at to risk any more injuries.

Up to that the old one stayed out go reach when he could and was kept at a distance by the younger ones. But in the end the older one didn't had the right to enter the coop and I found him often in the night ON the coop sleeping. I hadn't had my second coop back then, so I put him in by hand on most evenings.

Then I decided put the younger with two hens a part and gave him away first opportunity. The older one is my reproduction rooster and I wanted him to be up to the task and not stressed out permanently.

Back
Top Bottom