How old for Cornish Cross to go outside?

Smokin Silkies

formerly browneyebuttafly
11 Years
Mar 27, 2009
Western, PA
Mine are about 2 weeks old (I can't remember exactly which day I bought them
hmm.png
) and they just stink so awful bad I can't stand it. Im in Pa and the weathers been nice here. How cold can they handle? I already have a big tractor outside for them that can be moved every day and I cant wait to get them out there. They have alot of feathers already!

I'm somewhere near you. My first batch of the year were moved outside Tuesday, a day short of three weeks old. They have been fine, no light or extra heat, just the tarp over the pen.

Great! I've been putting them outside during the day for the last week or so because I heard that they will get their feathers in faster...plus its been nice here. I'll just keep an eye on them and hope they don't get too cold. They will be in a tractor so they will be on the cold ground too.
fl.gif
I just can't stand the stench anymore. I'm about an hour north of Pittsburgh by the way
smile.png

Mine have been out since April 20 (3 weeks old) with a 100 watt light for the about 2 weeks. So no light since the May 1st.
I have 50 in my Tractor/brooder- wire floor and open on the one end. Just moved last night to the main tractor that is 10X12.
The night temps seem to me to be the challenge- in the 30s seems just to cold for any chick under 4 weeks.

You are correct they are stinky- my wife can stand the first week of them in the house then they got to go.

I am 1/2 hr north of Altoona.

Quote:
What were the temps there then when you put them out during the night. Lowest temp for the next says 36. I have 3 walls and a roof on the back of my tractor covered in wood, the rest is wire. I also am going to put a rubbermaid container in there upside down with a hole for them to go into. I have 7 chicks and 4 more that are 1 week old. The week olds are seperate at this time because of size. Think it would be ok with no light down there for them. I can't run wire to the tractor. Too far from the house. Thanks!

Put them out if it's nice- they always do better in the sunlight and fresh air/ground. If it gets cold, just cover them and add a heat lamp to the tractor.

Quote:
What were the temps there then when you put them out during the night. Lowest temp for the next says 36. I have 3 walls and a roof on the back of my tractor covered in wood, the rest is wire. I also am going to put a rubbermaid container in there upside down with a hole for them to go into. I have 7 chicks and 4 more that are 1 week old. The week olds are seperate at this time because of size. Think it would be ok with no light down there for them. I can't run wire to the tractor. Too far from the house. Thanks!

it sounds like my temps are about the same as yours, I gave mine the rubbermaid "tent" as well but they quit using it after the first week, the are hot birds.
We've had temps in 30's at night all last week, and mine are running around basicly naked, but had no issues. Well, I supose I may have slowed their growth a bit due to the calories excerted to keep warm at night, but an extra week before butcher is far more desirable to me than having these stink bugs in the house!

I agree with them being stink bugs. My second 50 are at the house and my wife asked my to get them moved. So now I am building another brooder/tractor that is 4x8, with a raised floor(removable). I figure if I can give them two weeks with a light in the raised space about 2x4 then pull out the partitioned wall and the floor I should be ok. This will mean I can keep them out of the house. The plan will be 4 weeks in the 4x8 tractor, then move them to the 10x12 tractor to finish. I will be able to keep 100 at a time - I can taste them now.

Back
Top Bottom