How can I make my hens produce more eggs?

Jane Jill Jack

Chirping
9 Years
Nov 8, 2010
I have about 12 hens that are labled on the catalog "good'' or ''excellent'' producers, and who are no more than two years old, although close, that don't give a lot of eggs. I get about four eggs a day. I feed them a mix of corn and crumbles, along with table scraps, but it seems as if they are not geeting enough for eggs too. Is there anything else I should do or give them so their production rate increases?

Quote:
"Corn and crumbles". Would you elaborate on what the crumbles are? It sounds to me like they are lacking protein. When I need to "jump start" my hens production in the winter I always had good luck with going from 16% to 18% protein.

Another thing I did was add a light timer for them when they are cooped up for the winter months.

If they are lacking protein, they may be eating the eggs before you get them. I've had that happen too. That habit is a hard one to break.

By Crumbles do you mean some kind of egg layer ration? This time of year with the short days, a slow in production is normal. They should be on a layer ration. If you have access to Blue Seal feeds they have an "egg maker" crumble that can help kick start things. Perhaps some oyster shell too.

Quote"How can I make my hens produce more eggs?"

The same way I get my wife to do anything.....

Wait for it to be her idea....
gig.gif
lau.gif

I give my hens NatureWise layer feed which is 16 percent protein. They are fed twice a day their fill.

Last edited:
When my hens slow down I usually have a short talk with them about how good they may look in my wife's crock pot.
lau.gif
But seriously just keep the layer feed a plenty and don;t give them to many treats. They will slow down this time of year due to the shorter days and when they molt. Just cut them some slack they will start back up when the days get longer and you use layer feed.

Why would too many treats slow the production? I guess will have to try talking to them...

Last edited:
Quote:
Because it lowers the amount of protein that they are getting. Layer feed is a complete ration that should give them everything they need. Feeding a little scratch is useful to increase their energy intake in the winter when they are burning a lot of energy to keep warm, but too much scratch and too many table scraps only dilutes what they should be getting from their regular ration.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom