How can I make my hens produce more eggs?

Quote:
For optimum egg production you need to feed them a balanced layer feed. If you give too many treats they will act like a child and fill up on them and not eat enough of their feed. Nutrition is one of the biggest factors in egg production and health.

Your layer mix is formulated to be the only thing fed..soon as you add corn the protein % starts going down fast corn is around 9% if you added sprouted oats or wheat you protein % would go up or even a few sunflower seeds. Feed @ 18 to 20% will give you lots of eggs if you have light....

I will try switching to 18 percent protein layer feed and give only the table scraps we have, which isn't a lot. Also the light... Thank you for the help.

Last edited:
When I want mine to lay regular I give them a gallon pitcher of 1/2 acratch grains and 1/2 layer crumbles or pellets. I give taable scraps when it's time to clean out the fridge or i'm low on feed. Right now they're getting mostly scratch grains ald scraps to fatten them up for the cold. I would rather they are healthy and can warm themselves then have eggs. They also get out to free range several times a week.
My buff orphs LOVE
love.gif
:love:love tomato worms and the tomatos too. When they saw us at the vines they would go nuts knowing those ugly squishy worms where coming.

From what i've read meat is protein. I call the local convience store to see if anybody has claimed the days leftovers. If not I get them and feed the meat to the chickens. Our's charges $1 a bagful. But like I said, i'm not so worried about getting eggs right now. I'm working on fattening them up good for a cold winter.

My hens LOVE bugs too. In the summer I let them free range and the eat grass and the small, flipping, hopping, flying bugs like mad. I barely had to feed them then and they gave lots of eggs.
lol.png

Quote:
Thanks, that made my night!!

OP--You've been given great answers so far, re: feed/treat ratio and light. The only other thing that I'd add is that at their age it's unlikely that you will get as many eggs as you did a year ago from the same hens no matter what you feed or how much light they have, though changing those things should certainly improve things. Most of them slow down dramaticaly after their second molt (I know, some still keep going until they're 4-5, but I said mostly
wink.png
) the upside to this is that what eggs you do get tend to be jumbo size.

Last edited:
Ummm... I am not trying to rain on the parade of the devout commercial feed peep out there but... Our laying age hen is pretty much totally free ranged. In fact; they have NEVER EVER had layer feed or any other feed except when they were young chicks. The short days and molting reduced our egg per bird per week average from 6+ down to 3~4 per week... If needed; this late Winter/early Spring, I will give them cayenne pepper mixed into something to help ramp production back up... If needed. Our rich large yolks stand up proud and are housed in consistently formed hard shells...

Just saying... This whole "have to have commercial feed" &*@#$* is a joke; and the joke is on the consumer.

Back
Top Bottom