Hen very sickly this morning

Cazook

Songster
Nov 24, 2019
When I let the hens out this morning one (I call her wee hen 'cause she is the smallest, yet lays the biggest eggs. go figure) didn't come out and was hunched in the nesting box. She's had wheezing problems since we got her from a farm last summer and occasionally nI have to keep an eye on her because she seems poorly and needing extra attention, she was getting skinny before this and acting weird, I had her in for some days over the coldest days but she improved after the whole flock was wormed and got her energy back. She had been laying some weird soft eggs so 2 days ago I gave her a calcium tablet (400mg calcium + 2.5ug vit d3) but this morning she seems a lot worse. Very hunched and just standing in one spot, having horrible yellowish diarreha, and her comb is purple and her wattles are almost shrivelling up. I brought her inside and offered water but she doesn't seem interested. What to do??

weesad.png
sadpoo.png

hunched in the nesting box. She's had wheezing problems since we got her from a farm last summer and occasionally nI have to keep an eye on her because she seems poorly and needing extra attention, she was getting skinny before this and acting weird, I had her in for some days over the coldest days but she improved after the whole flock was wormed and got her energy back. She had been laying some weird soft eggs so 2 days ago
Very hunched and just standing in one spot, having horrible yellowish diarreha, and her comb is purple and her wattles are almost shrivelling up.
Her crop is pingpong ball l sized and seems to have some stuff in it still
I agree with @sourland I would lean toward reproductive issues as well.
Feel inside her vent for an egg. If she's been having trouble with soft shelled eggs she may be having trouble passing one. I would get some more Calcium into her and see that she's hydrated. Feel her abdomen between her legs below the vent for fluid or swelling.

If she's having trouble with an egg, then likely that's the reason her crop is not completely emptying.
Some folks give there hens a soak in a warm epsom salts bath if they are not too lethargic (soaking can send them over the edge) or you can place her in a steamed up bathroom or provide her with a warm heating pad to see if that helps. Calcium and Hydration is the first things I would do though.

Keep us posted.

Thanks for the responses. Her crop is definitely like dough.
When is the last time she laid an egg?

I would work on getting her crop to empty. While most crop issues are a symptom of an underlying condition, imho, it's important to try to keep it moving the best you can so it doesn't turn sour. I would start out with giving coconut oil and massage careful that she doesn't aspirate fluids. Keep her hydrated and go from their. The info in this article is what I use when treating a bird for crop issues.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Update: She is doing a lot better now. Her appetite is returning steadily and she's much more active and tried dust bathing on my floor. I've been putting her outside for a little while in the day (flock still seems to remember her, she immediately started bullying one of the pullets so I take that as a 'good' sign) but it's -8c here and she still hasn't been perching in the coop so she's still inside at night. Now I just need to try and get her weight up.

So, looks like it was coccidiosis or some other ailment that responded to a bit of TLC.

Thanks for the help guys!

Coccidiosis can be a silent killer, there are 7 many different strains chickens can get. Does she still currently lay? How old is she? She could be egg bound (if she's currently laying still) or the wheezing could be from heart related problems. She also could have vent gleet. Is her abdomen swollen at all?

No egg in last 3-4 days. This morning her crop emptied (much massaging and oil yesterday), she ate and drank a little bit (very not enough though) and is feeling mischievous enough to jump out of her box and explore the room.

No egg in last 3-4 days. This morning her crop emptied (much massaging and oil yesterday), she ate and drank a little bit (very not enough though) and is feeling mischievous enough to jump out of her box and explore the room.
Is she pooping o.k.?
You mentioned she was laying weird soft eggs - were they shell less eggs or something like Lash egg?

It's good the crop emptied! See if you can encourage her to eat a little wet feed and drink.

Arg you guys might be right after all. She had a week or so of seemingly good health, then laid a normal egg, then started going strange again. Not eating at all but trying to sit in nesting boxes all day (producing nothing), standing around falling asleep, won't perch or move about etc. Looks like internal laying I guess. I don't know whether to just wait or if she needs euthanised.

Back
Top Bottom