Hen very sickly this morning

Cazook

Songster
Nov 24, 2019
When I let the hens out this morning one (I call her wee hen 'cause she is the smallest, yet lays the biggest eggs. go figure) didn't come out and was hunched in the nesting box. She's had wheezing problems since we got her from a farm last summer and occasionally nI have to keep an eye on her because she seems poorly and needing extra attention, she was getting skinny before this and acting weird, I had her in for some days over the coldest days but she improved after the whole flock was wormed and got her energy back. She had been laying some weird soft eggs so 2 days ago I gave her a calcium tablet (400mg calcium + 2.5ug vit d3) but this morning she seems a lot worse. Very hunched and just standing in one spot, having horrible yellowish diarreha, and her comb is purple and her wattles are almost shrivelling up. I brought her inside and offered water but she doesn't seem interested. What to do??

weesad.png
sadpoo.png

She drinks only if I bring the water dish almost up to her face... so... I will keep doing that, lol

That looks like what mine appeared like when they had coccidiosis. You need corid asap. I learned the hard way that you should always have it on hand so you can give it as soon as you notice symptoms. I lost 2 of 3 that were sick.

Coccidiosis, really? I thought the symptoms for that are blood in droppings, she never had that. I do have some amprolium I can put in her water. I guess it can't hurt at this point.

Also gave her a warm bath and felt for an egg, nada. The purple comb leads me to believe she is dying though. :/

Coccidiosis, really? I thought the symptoms for that are blood in droppings, she never had that. I do have some amprolium I can put in her water. I guess it can't hurt at this point.
Mine had hidden the symptoms because he was in a flock and I only noticed when he got to the point of green dropping which means they haven't been eating anything. I used a dropper and diluted a small amount of corid in distilled water and gave the three sick ones a good loading dose and then mixed in water. Un fortunately Ash died in my arms 30 minutes later with Esme to follow 30 minutes after that. I managed to save Elvis who is now a house chicken.

Oh, she eats constantly (not today though), but, she has always seemed a bit skinny.

She is just sleeping in the box now and I annoy her to drink some water every 10 mins. :l

Evening now and she is much the same but maybe a tiny bit more alert. She will eat a couple of mealworms soaked in water and drink a little if I bring the dish to her face. Otherwise she just ignores it and closes her eyes. Lots of yellow-white liquid poo.

Back
Top Bottom