Hen keeps trying to protect me from mean rooster

SarahGfa

Crowing
6 Years
Jan 26, 2018
My 11 month old rooster recently developed a bad attitude and started attacking my ankles. But every time he attacks, one of my hens (same age, they grew up together) runs over and starts pecking his head. It is surprising because she is normally one of the wimpier girls in the flock.

Normally I would start carrying the rooster like a football to stop his bad manners, but I wonder if the hen can discipline him for me? This has happened every day for almost a week now, and she always comes to "rescue" me. The rooster is the only boy in the flock so he has a big ego.

Huh!
Does the male stop when the female pecks him?
Carrying a aggressive male is not really effective IMO.

Yes the male stops after the female pecks him (but then he forgets and tries it again the next day). He is a bantam and she is a saipan.

I think aggressive males can be fixed, but it takes a lot of patience. Maybe my hen can do it for me :)

Here she is wailing on him for getting too close to my feet:
IMG_6728.JPG

My 11 month old rooster recently developed a bad attitude and started attacking my ankles. But every time he attacks, one of my hens (same age, they grew up together) runs over and starts pecking his head. It is surprising because she is normally one of the wimpier girls in the flock.

Normally I would start carrying the rooster like a football to stop his bad manners, but I wonder if the hen can discipline him for me? This has happened every day for almost a week now, and she always comes to "rescue" me. The rooster is the only boy in the flock so he has a big ego.
What is happening, I think is your rooster is trying to mate with your foot/ankel/anything he can reach.........he can't help it, and your hen, wants the rooster to either mate with her/ and/or not with you.
It is quite common to see other hens peck at both rooster and hens during mating. Your hen obviously doesn't think you are a suitable mate. I think she's right.:D

I personally don't like to be attacked.

That gal would earn pet status :love and the stupid cockerel suddenly attacking the giant that brings food would get a free trip to freezer camp here. :drool

To me the pullet isn't teaching him not to go after you. And it will more likely just be a pecking order dynamic. But interesting to see, none the less! :pop

Curious... was he loved on and a wonderful lap pet earlier on? Or what has the dynamic been thus far? And how on Earth do you get away with keeping him in the city with neighbors? Or is San Jose just general?

I personally would wallup him myself so he could learn to respect me if I was gonna let him stay. Verses maybe just trying to sneak around and get me when the hen isn't looking. :confused:

Good luck! :fl

Huh!
Does the male stop when the female pecks him?
Carrying a aggressive male is not really effective IMO.
I agree... And don't personally care for the carrying thing. BUT...

There is a difference between aggressive and testy. To me this boy is just testy SO far... barely feeling his oats. But left to his own vices... aggression could come soon.

I don't know really... but always paying attention and trying to learn and discern. :caf

I will just add this.
If you like I will upload a picture of a cockerel doing what I think you are describing.
It is not aggressive behavior.
If he is happy with your boot, or ankle for now then let him be.
If you force him away, hit, kick, or show him aggression you are likely to make him try and force you to mate and this will lead to aggressive behavior.
Please bear in mind that it is likely the rooster sees you as part of his flock. This can only come about if you have presented yourself as such. feeding, petting, picking up his hens, etc etc. In short, you will have caused his behavior.
Let the hen peck him, let him have your boot or ankle for a while and eventually he'll grow out of it.

Aggressive behavior is easily dealt with, you remove their head from their body and put them in the freezer, after cleaning them of course. They are not only a pain but they can also stress the hens.

Back
Top Bottom