To Keep or not to Keep a Rooster, That is the question.

Yeah. I can handle negative behavior toward myself, but I have taken out several that were mean to the hens. That's a deal breaker.
Same. I had to get rid of a stunning BR roo two weeks ago. He was awful towards my girls. My current rooster, Pastel, is a jerk to me, but he is so good to my ladies. I don’t mind him attacking my foot as long as he is attentive to his hens.

It does seem like he is not the best rooster. If you decide to cull him, the broomstick method is my preferred method for cervixal dislocation. With a mature rooster you will have to pull pretty hard, it’s better to pull too hard than not hard enough.

The Broomstick Method
I wish I could do this instead of the cone ......don't seem to have enough strength. Had to do 2x to sick hens a long time ago and it wasn't quick enough 😢

One of my TS pullets turned out to be rooster. He's now about 1 year old, and I think he's been hurting some of my hens (19 hens). My oldest hen (about 4) was pecked on the back of her head very badly and bleeding, with the skin pulled away. She was walking around dizzily too. I was able to separate her, and she has healed nicely. She is separated, and has a little, young companion hen with her who has not pecked or bothered her. Now one of my other hens looks as if she has numerous feathers pulled away from the back of her head. Is this from the rooster mounting her and pulling on feathers with his beak to stay balanced, and on top? I do notice that when he mounts the hens, he uses his beak on the backs of their heads to steady himself. I have little experience with chickens. Is this losing of feathers entirely his doing, or are hens doing this to one another too? (pull feathers from the back of the heads of other hens). What is the advantage of keeping a rooster around? WE eat the eggs, but have no interest in hatching them. My birds have a half acre of grassy free-range, are fed and watered regularly, and have a secure coop for night time. If I were to cull him, what is the most humane way? Thanks.
We also got a TS Roo "pullet" haha happens a lot .
Another alternative is to give him away to someone that doesn't have an issue culling them . Some people post on FB Roos and others collect them up as fast as they are posted !

And I at least am not strong enough to do cervical dislocation by hand with a standard sized rooster. Hens, yes, big roosters, no. Had a bad experience once, and never again. Use a cone, or that broomstick, or find someone with more experience, or a processor.
Mary
Yes I learned the hard way to stand on a couple cinder blocks . I don't have to lift as high

Same. I had to get rid of a stunning BR roo two weeks ago. He was awful towards my girls. My current rooster, Pastel, is a jerk to me, but he is so good to my ladies. I don’t mind him attacking my foot as long as he is attentive to his hens.
Since I divided my flock in half and gave each their own hens my flocks calmed down .They all seem to be much happier. I don't have aggressive roosters but I didn't overreact to a few pecks on the foot when they were younger. One of my favorite hens walked up and pecked me on the leg yesterday lol

Since I divided my flock in half and gave each their own hens my flocks calmed down .They all seem to be much happier. I don't have aggressive roosters but I didn't overreact to a few pecks on the foot when they were younger. One of my favorite hens walked up and pecked me on the leg yesterday lol
My favorite hen attacks my foot until I give her cuddles- or food. Chickens are so funny, I swear.

My rooster attacked my foot when my broody hen started a big fight and I just picked him up and told him to stop. That was two days ago- I can tell you that he didn’t stop…

I agree to give him a chance. He might just be a fumbling teenager. I've had hens hurt other hens way way worse then that.
My husband used the broom stick on a sick polish pullet a few months ago. We are not farm people or home stedders so not used to killing anything. Not opposed to it, just not used to it. It was quick and not gruesome.

My cockerels were separated from the pullets at 3 mo old and added to my main flock until the pullets were old enough to lay .They stayed with them until one was 'mature' enough to be 'accepted' by my older hens(6 more months) Only one of my roosters is calm enough to be released in the main flock. Neither one of my roosters have ever flogged me but it wouldn't have taken much for them to crossed that line when they were younger.Adding them to my main flock a couple months humbled them a bit

Back
Top Bottom