Rooster Harvested

EdgeC

Chirping
Aug 5, 2023
So I have had the one rooster since he was a baby, raised him (his brother who was harvested early in age, due to genetic issues). He was great, until he wasn't... started picking on my ducks (was okay with him attacking me or other non-flock which he did). Would just run them and kick them, pekin couldn't do anything but run. So I ended up harvesting him, was hard... now that I have no rooster and a flock of 8 adult females (14 chicks, pullet). Assuming they guessed correctly, and I am left with all females... would a female take the head spot? Also, if I select a rooster of my choice... what's the best approach of introducing them into the now roosterless flock?

A female will take the head spot, and perform most of the duties a rooster would. Unless you want chicks, there's no need to have a rooster - some are good at defending the flock, and some aren't. If you get another later, I've found just putting him in with the hens to work pretty well. Most hens are happy to have a rooster around. There may be some pecking order stuff, but should just be some pecking and feathery jumping and stuff.

A female will take the head spot, and perform most of the duties a rooster would. Unless you want chicks, there's no need to have a rooster - some are good at defending the flock, and some aren't. If you get another later, I've found just putting him in with the hens to work pretty well. Most hens are happy to have a rooster around. There may be some pecking order stuff, but should just be some pecking and feathery jumping and stuff.
Thank you, makes me feel a little better. Didn't plan on doing all of this today, I just noticed a problem and had to put a end to it.

I agree, a hen will assume most of his duties. Which ones will depend on the personality of the individual hen.

Some people are very happy to not have a rooster in the flock. Others would not have a flock without a rooster. It is a personal decision.

If you get a mature rooster it usually works to just turn him loose with them. He struts in with his magnificent personality and self-confidence, mates one or two, and the flock is his. Sometimes if the head hen has a really strong of personality and the rooster is fairly weak it can involve some fighting. You don't get guarantees with living animals and their behaviors, but it usually works out really peacefully.

If he is immature the hens may beat him up until he matures enough to take over. Or he may get along OK. Often he will be kept off to the side and out of the flock until he matures. Each situation is different.

I agree, a hen will assume most of his duties. Which ones will depend on the personality of the individual hen.

Some people are very happy to not have a rooster in the flock. Others would not have a flock without a rooster. It is a personal decision.

If you get a mature rooster it usually works to just turn him loose with them. He struts in with his magnificent personality and self-confidence, mates one or two, and the flock is his. Sometimes if the head hen has a really strong of personality and the rooster is fairly weak it can involve some fighting. You don't get guarantees with living animals and their behaviors, but it usually works out really peacefully.

If he is immature the hens may beat him up until he matures enough to take over. Or he may get along OK. Often he will be kept off to the side and out of the flock until he matures. Each situation is different.
Awesome, thank you. Seems pretty straight forward.

Unless you are big into a specific breed, what you want is a rooster that has grown up in a multi-generational flock, that has been so nice, that he has gotten the bye on culling by someone who would cull if he wasn't. Look at the feed store or contact the local 4-H clubs, or poultry clubs. Get him at least 6 months to a year old is best.

Then just let him out in your yard, let the hens out, they will lead him back to the coop, and that is pretty much it with hens that have had a rooster. It is one of the easiest introductions possible. If they haven't been exposed to a rooster, there is a bit of bluster, but it soon settles, and it is fine.

Do not take anything you are sorry for, and do look him over carefully for parasites.

Mrs K

Unless you are big into a specific breed, what you want is a rooster that has grown up in a multi-generational flock, that has been so nice, that he has gotten the bye on culling by someone who would cull if he wasn't. Look at the feed store or contact the local 4-H clubs, or poultry clubs. Get him at least 6 months to a year old is best.

Then just let him out in your yard, let the hens out, they will lead him back to the coop, and that is pretty much it with hens that have had a rooster. It is one of the easiest introductions possible. If they haven't been exposed to a rooster, there is a bit of bluster, but it soon settles, and it is fine.

Do not take anything you are sorry for, and do look him over carefully for parasites.

Mrs K
Thank you, any specific breed you would recommend? I want something that won't attack my ducks, pekins. However they also need to be a decent size for meat production (if need be). I honestly can work with hostility towards myself, or humans. I need them to not be hostile to the other animals they will possibly share a run/coop with. I used to fully free-range them... but they would go to the open fields to forage and get picked off by hawks. As such, we built them a 25'x50'x6' around a section of very branchy fruit trees, next to the house. Hawks can't dive through the trees to get to them and thus tends to bug other people now. The run has their coop in the middle... which is a large 10'x10'x10' coop. It has a metal roof, with 2'x4's at the top allowing the chickens to make vertical use of the coop and the ducks pile together on the ground. Both ducks/hens have been raised around roosters.

/TLDR Looking for a rooster who can be mean to humans, but not mean to pekin ducks/hens and can also make hybrid birds (meat and egg).

Secondary, I wanted a RIR rooster to sex link as well... but most sources claim they are very mean birds. Would they be mean to ducks or just humans?

I wanted a RIR rooster to sex link as well... but most sources claim they are very mean birds. Would they be mean to ducks or just humans?
If you look through the very first post in this thread you will see that you can use over 20 different roosters to make red sex links or over 20 different roosters to make black sex links. You are not limited to just Rhode Island Reds to make sex links.

Sex- linked Information | BackYard Chickens - Learn How to Raise Chickens

Regardless of breed you can find posts on here where a rooster of any breed can be horrible or great. You can find Rhode Island Reds, Silkies, Buff Orpington, Sebrights, or any other breed where the roosters are pure terror or where they are sweethearts. I understand you are reading that on this forum but I don't believe everything I read on the internet. Each chicken is an individual with its own personality. It can be good or bad, whether male or female.

Some chickens are going to be mean to ducks. Some ducks are going to be mean to chickens. I find with stuff like this the more room you have the better. The bad behaviors are magnified if room is tight. That does not mean you will never have problems if you have a lot of room, it means problems are more likely if room is tight.

Ended up with a Brahma gentleman... tides went the opposite way. Rooster is too gentle and the hens are beating up the new rooster. Going to take it slowly... Any ideas/options? He thinks he is a duck now... (I have pekins and a lot of black chickens (astrolorp)) he thinks he is a duck now. He is about a year old.

Back
Top Bottom