Help with Sex-link feather pulling?

LunaMarieWolf

Songster
Dec 31, 2018
Wister, OK
Hey everyone, I think my older sex-link is pulling feathers from herself? I am just really unsure what is going on.

I don't know her age, but she is an older girl and she is a rescue battery hen.

She seems to be fine, but I know something has got to be bothering her for her feathers to look like this. Maybe something nutritional I can fix, or keep her up until the feathers grow back?

Also, I put her in the broody hen cage while I took photos so I could get close up.

Attachments

• 20200430_104219.jpg
    20200430_104219.jpg
    575.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200430_104228.jpg
    20200430_104228.jpg
    496.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200430_104204.jpg
    20200430_104204.jpg
    537.2 KB · Views: 3
Do you have a rooster?

Is she picking at herself or excessively preening?
I would check her well for lice/mites. The feathers missing on her neck or likely from another bird plucking those out unless you see her scratching a lot.

Do you have a rooster?

Is she picking at herself or excessively preening?
I would check her well for lice/mites. The feathers missing on her neck or likely from another bird plucking those out unless you see her scratching a lot.

I checked her for lice and mites and found none. We do have a rooster but I haven't seen her scratching herself a lot.

Could be damage from the rooster.
A lot of the feathers are broken, so won't be replaced until she molts.

Thank you so much, she is my favorite out of the flock and is one of the friendliest out of the group. My flock was taken over by my parents when I went off to college and seeing my girl look like that made my heart ache.

I will definitely keep an eye on her and see who is the culprit, and make sure if her skin does get torn it gets some Hen Healer put on ASAP!

Thank you again.

Back
Top Bottom