Help please!!!! Can Club foot and a joint infection be treated?!?!??

CaliFarmsAR

Free Ranging
5 Years
Apr 26, 2019
Arkansas
Hey y’all! I need some help/advance here. I just started working at an equestrian barn and they have a 5 year old horses and he has Club foot and got a joint infection from the vet (they didn’t do the injection right). Can this be treated? If so what is the best way to? And after he recovers, could he be ridden again? He may be put down if they don’t find a home for him and I’d love to take him, but if it can’t be treated I don’t know if my parents will let me take him. I’d be in charge of paying for everything. He is free to whoever takes him. Any help/advise is appreciated!! I don’t want a young beautiful gelding to be put down!!

This is him! I love him and want to save him so bad!!
0C1BA469-99CA-440B-ABAA-7338BCDEDFC1.jpeg
B6B1A1ED-D88E-4B26-AC79-2ABDFA5A4E7C.jpeg

Do you have a holistic vet in your area? I like holistic vets since they're minimally invasive, and work with the immune system rather than agaisnt it. Plus, they find the main cause rather than just treating the symptoms.
I don't know anything about this, but I do hope you're able to find a solution for him. :hugs

Also, do you already have horses? I dont think you do.
Do you know how much it costs to care for a horse? A lot of money. They eat a lot of hay, and hay prices are going to sky rocket. We got big bales of hay for 16$ a bale recently, not a bad price for quality, and our supplier said they're going to rise to at least $20 a bale soon. At least. They eat a lot of hay, and you have to supplement at least in the winter. Plus tack, and blankets. Expect to buy a new blanket every year, sometimes you don't have to, but prepare for it encase he's tough on blankets.
You also have to get their feet trimmed every 8 weeks. That costs us 40$ a horse when we don't get them shoed. It's twice that I believe when we get them shoed.
Plus property damage. If you dont have a lot of property, you may have to reseed every year. Not only cost, but you also have to have the right setup. Acreage with area you can turn into rotatable pasture. Just like chickens, they kill the grass eventually. You need to have pasture to rotate for most setups, or else it will get muddy with such a heavy animal.
Plus, you're adopting an injured horse. You'll have to pay for vet bills to. Large animal vet bills with house calls is a ton of money.
It costs a lot of money, and a lot of time, and commitment. I know you want to save him, but do be prepared for how much it is going to cost if you want to pay for him. How much work it is going to be if you want to take care of him yourself. I dont know anything about your setup, but just preparing you.
Horses are incredible, just amazing. I love my Misty to death. Just dont go in over your head. Its a great thing your doing, but be prepared. :hugs:hugs

Also, do you already have horses? I dont think you do.
Do you know how much it costs to care for a horse? A lot of money. They eat a lot of hay, and hay prices are going to sky rocket. We got big bales of hay for 16$ a bale recently, not a bad price for quality, and our supplier said they're going to rise to at least $20 a bale soon. At least. They eat a lot of hay, and you have to supplement at least in the winter. Plus tack, and blankets. Expect to buy a new blanket every year, sometimes you don't have to, but prepare for it encase he's tough on blankets.
You also have to get their feet trimmed every 8 weeks. That costs us 40$ a horse when we don't get them shoed. It's twice that I believe when we get them shoed.
Plus property damage. If you dont have a lot of property, you may have to reseed every year. Not only cost, but you also have to have the right setup. Acreage with area you can turn into rotatable pasture. Just like chickens, they kill the grass eventually. You need to have pasture to rotate for most setups, or else it will get muddy with such a heavy animal.
Plus, you're adopting an injured horse. You'll have to pay for vet bills to. Large animal vet bills with house calls is a ton of money.
It costs a lot of money, and a lot of time, and commitment. I know you want to save him, but do be prepared for how much it is going to cost if you want to pay for him. How much work it is going to be if you want to take care of him yourself. I dont know anything about your setup, but just preparing you.
Horses are incredible, just amazing. I love my Misty to death. Just dont go in over your head. Its a great thing your doing, but be prepared. :hugs:hugs
Thank you for all your replies!! Yes, I know how much a horse costs, I used to have one, now my sister owns her and two others, so I know they cost a lot. I’m thinking about calling the vet to ask some questions about the infection and club foot. I just really want to save him, he’s a big beautiful boy and I’d love to take him.

Thank you for all your replies!! Yes, I know how much a horse costs, I used to have one, now my sister owns her and two others, so I know they cost a lot. I’m thinking about calling the vet to ask some questions about the infection and club foot. I just really want to save him, he’s a big beautiful boy and I’d love to take him.
Okay good, I knew you had cows, so I figured you had some experience. :) Just wanted to double check you know what you are getting into. Otherwise, I think it's a fantastic thing you're doing.
I would call a holistic vet too if you have one that see's horses. It's worth an opinion for sure. I swear by homeopathic/holistic treatments.

Okay good, I knew you had cows, so I figured you had some experience. :) Just wanted to double check you know what you are getting into. Otherwise, I think it's a fantastic thing you're doing.
I would call a holistic vet too if you have one that see's horses. It's worth an opinion for sure. I swear by homeopathic/holistic treatments.
Thank you so much!!! I will keep you updated on what I end up doing!!

My opinion from what I've experienced working at different barns and caring for and/or owning many horses throughout my ancient age - I'm not a vet or an expert on hooves, just have seen a lot of various hoof and joint conditions...
Club foot is usually not a huge thing to worry about, it's something that can be managed quite well with careful treatment from the farrier. Just like you or I are right or left-handed, horses are as well. You probably know that from riding, most horses take the canter lead better from one direction and worse in the other direction. Even grazing in a pasture, most horses tend to be more comfortable with one front foot forward rather than the other. Sometimes the hooves are shaped extremely different, a serious case of club foot, where the hooves have genetically developed differently from each other, but it's still possible to shoe or trim the hooves so they're able to be balanced, so that the horse can walk, trot and canter in balance and pain-free in both directions.
When it comes to "getting a joint infection from the vet not doing it right" I'm sorry, but I don't buy that at all. Unless the vet is completely incompetent, which very few of them are, the joint infection tends to come from the owner thinking an injury will be OK, ignoring it or/and not getting the vet soon enough.

Back
Top Bottom