HELP! Olive Eggers are dying

Am I raising these chicks all wrong?

• Is this a difficult breed

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • What should I do next

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
Also, I keep the in an uninsulated room on the back of the house. There are 2 brooders set up back there and the temperature can change as much as outside. So im always going back there to make adjustments with lamps, I raise them, lower them and even turn them off, I manage the temperature ever half to one hour depending if I have to run into town.

I only heat part of the Brooder so Chicks and Ducklings can harden off of heat sooner..
I face the lamp towards the corner to create a shadow in the opposite corner so it stays warm on one side and cool on the other, the temperature is monitored in both areas. How much are you warming? Should I consider cooler temperature's? Do they need more cool off area than warm area?

I face the lamp towards the corner to create a shadow in the opposite corner so it stays warm on one side and cool on the other, the temperature is monitored in both areas. How much are you warming? Should I consider cooler temperature's? Do they need more cool off area than warm area?
Yes...Think of Chicks being raised by Momma..She takes them out foraging and only provides heat when resting. They harden off quickly that way and develop feathers quicker.

As I am in a panic and don't want to loo

I'm locate in northern Michigan, the temperature outside is in the mid 70s during the day and mid 50s at night. The 3 left have semi solid olive stool, but every other day I will find a couple stools with a little red in it. no discharge from the nose or eyes, not even the 2 I lost had any discharge.

If there's red then it's coccidiosis
You should order corid and start treating in chicks it can be fatal so corid is ur drug u need to give them they'll be fine

Red in their stool could also be intestinal lining ... pictures of poop would help. There are times the bird will have coccidiosis with no blood in the poop. Corid on hand is a good idea, you could put them on it won't hurt.

Picture of your brooder set up would help too. You need to read the thread by Blooie on the MHP, alot easier & chicks I've raised using are quieter & not so skittish, develop faster. You shouldn't be having to adjust your heat source a you're doing. Put the source in one corner end facing the other, adjusting the angle or raising for heat. That a way the chicks have light & will move to the warmth they need. Temp lowered 5* every week to acclimate them to be without the light - You really need to read Blooie's MHP thread.

What kind of "heat" light are you using?
Is it that heat lamp or just a regular light bulb set up?

Switching feeds sometimes causes "indigestion" so it's been recommended to switch gradually & don't keep switching. You may want to use potty pads in the brooder, easier to monitor the poop. I use it for a week or two when I have new chicks inside then they go to the outside brooder (3x8x2) with their MHP, more room & less dust in the house.

Last edited:
Here is the setup, the olive Eggers started out in the wooden brooder than I separated them after noticing the Maran's didn't give the olives much opportunity to eat. I did this after I lost the first one.

Attachments

• 20180826_201638.jpg
    20180826_201638.jpg
    602.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 20180826_201630.jpg
    20180826_201630.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 20180826_201559.jpg
    20180826_201559.jpg
    460 KB · Views: 18
Is that food on the ground mixed with the poop? I prefer not to have feed on the ground, assuming it was temporary. Poop, looks good, do you have any of the poop with blood?

The wood brooder set up is ok, are you adjusting the heat lamp daily? What is the temp on each end? One end should be warmer than the other, the chicks should be able to move away finding their own comfort level. If they're panting/spread out, they're too hot. The cardboard box is very roomy. Put the lamp on one end pointing to the other, under the lamp will be "cooler", food & water should go there. The end the lamp shines on will be warmer, probably where they will sleep but again if they're panting/spread out, it's too hot so raise the lamp. You shouldn't have to be adjusting through out the day.

Have no clue why you lost the two, thinking stress from shipping but will tag some that have more experience ....

:bow @Wyorp Rock @Lady of McCamley @azygous @aart @WVduckchick @KikisGirls
Thank you all for you help, I'm clueless

I'm concerned about the possibility of coccidiosis. The fact that only the Olive Eggers were affected, not the Marans, could indicate the Olive Eggers might be getting coccidia from the Marans, passed in their poop.

While the red in the poop might be intestinal lining, it wouldn't be taking a risk to assume it's blood and go ahead and treat all the chicks with Corid.

Back
Top Bottom