Help!!! Newborn chick with scissor beak/head deformity

Oliviag2324

In the Brooder
Apr 1, 2020
I work at Tractor Supply and this chick came in today, and my manager allowed me to take her/him home to try and care for it (by the way it's my first time trying to care for a special needs chick), as no one else would/were able to. I have given the chick plenty of water, and have tried to get some food into it by taking chick starter and adding water, mashing, and trying to put it in the beak. I have gotten some in, but she seems to be rejecting it? Her poop is coming out more water than what their excretions should be like, does anyone have any tips to feed her better? Like would an eye dropper be more effective to feed a chick with scissor beak?

Attachments

• 20200430_151638.jpg
    20200430_151638.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 20200430_151655.jpg
    20200430_151655.jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 20200430_225926.jpg
    20200430_225926.jpg
    430.7 KB · Views: 22
It'd be better if you grind up feed into a powder and leave it dry. You really took on a challenge that's for sure.
I have a cross beak silkie she's a year old, but I try to evaluate her quality of life and when it's not good I'm putting her down. They seem sad. :(

I got a little bit of food in her but I'll definitely try that, I have never put a chick down, she drinks by herself just needs to be fed... do you think I should put her down? And how would I go about doing that? The chick has been making light peeping noises every so often and loves to be held.. I'm sorry I'm really new and am not sure if the quality of life just isnt there for the chick

If its not eating, it will probably pass in the night.
It's not pleasant to put a chick down, but large scissors will do it.
If you want to wait until morning, if its suffering I'd do it then. It's mercy, and it's kind.
I'm really sorry. :hugs

Thank you so much for answering quickly and for the information! I'm definitely going to keep trying and if it doesnt work in the morning I'll make the decision, unless nature takes its course through the night :hit

Back
Top Bottom