HELP! !! :'( My eggs went cold, ARE THEY STILL ALIVE??????

amy1193

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 20, 2012
hi everone, my hen has been sitting on her eggs for a little over a week,

They chickens picked on her so i made her a new nest box, shes been having trouble remembering where it is when she goes out to use the bathroom

i just went out tonight 10:35pm and she was laying in the wrong box!!!
I touched the eggs and they were COLD, I PUT HER BACK ON IMMEDIATELY,

The last time I checked on her was around 4:30, so 6 hours ago
and I read online that someone had their hen off a whole day and they eggs still hatched
but I fell like my embryos may be too young

IS THERE ANY ANY ANY ANY CHANCE THAT THEY WILL SURVIVE??????

IM ABOUT TO CRY!

HA HAHA Don't worry about it, yes, it is possible they will still survive. Don't Cry, it's OK.. Just keep moving the eggs under her until she gets comfortable that she will stay in that box. As far as the others try putting up a barrier, put up a piece of wood or something to block her from the others that are pecking at her. I did the mistake of not blocking my broody hen off and sure enough this cannibal Rhode Island red went in the nesting box and cracked opened all the eggs. So try to block her off, provide food and water for her..

Thank you so much!!! :DIt's 76 degrees outside right now, i hope that wasn't too extreme for them,
this is my first time trying to hatch eggs, and i feel like ive made so much progross just to lose it all. In 6 hours,

Yeah my one young BR in particulate kepps trying to bite her comb off and she was bpeeding a lot yesterday, i can't block her off though because i used all the material for my pullets so they don't get beat up too, theyre about 3 mo now,

How much out of 100% do you think they will survive?
Have you heard of this happening and the chicks still hatch?

I wouldn't worry about the outside temp because with her sitting on them, she has her own temp. You have to some how keep the others from getting into the box, because with them kicking her out, they will go in there and they could end up stepping and cracking the eggs so then all is lost. As far as hatching a cold one, if you have it under her so that she can warm it back up it will be OK, if your counting days, your days may be off because when they get cold like that the process slows them down from hatching, so the days could be off by one or two.... I have had many mommys lets there eggs get cold and sure enough the chicks still hatch. You want to watch for things like her kicking the eggs out from underneath her, then they could be a bad egg. As long as she still wants to sit your gonna be fine, but again, i would try to do something to keep the others out. Because that's where all your progress could be lost...

Okay, thats good
and ill try to go sell some of my stuff to make some money to go buy chickenwire how ever much it is, im only 18 and have no job lol

Yes a few chickens are trying to kick her out, even in her new nestbox and i barely made it the other day! All the chickens started laying in there today i feel bad for my broody girl,they keep bothering her no matter where shes at, she lost an egg a few days ago cuz another chicken cracked it, it was so sad with the blood and stuff :(

she hasn't kcked any yet and im kinda weird i smell in every couple of nights to make sure, she pecks at me but i dont want a bad egg to explode :p

im about to take a pic of the one the eggs soon in about 10 min, i have a question about it and i hope you can answer it for me too, you seem very knowlegeable(idk how to spell it sorry)

Well i went outside to candle an egg that i thought had TWO embryos inside it, but seems like one of them disappeard? So i couldn't take a picture. But I saw it moving! Or maybe i was just moving it, but im pretty sure i saw it

as for the other eggs none of the embryos were moving :/

I'll update this thread if they hatch or not, wish me luck!!!!!

When did she start to sit on them, you can use anything to block her off, I have used a pizza box and prompt it up with a rock or a thick piece of wood or staple it on to the nesting box.. is this the only nesting box you have? Try and not candle to many times, I would just leave them and let her do her job. That's the best thing right now, did they feel warm again when you candled them? wait until hatching day, I don't know how these girls do it but man do they really put on the heat. They usually pluck the feathers out underneath there belly, and if you touch it WOW, super nice. I wouldn't mind climbing under her. LOL... Is this the first time you hen has gone broody??

She began sitting on them about 10 days ago, not qyite half way there yet, i would use something small like that but the chickens always find a way in, they push and go crazy sometimes.

And yeah i know, i candle them right near her feathers so they stay warm, i dont nake them out of the box

I have 5 nest boxes, and a hug dog house, and theres a chicken that lays eggs in a trash bin :/
4 of my chickens like their own box but the other 7 seems to follow my broody whereever she is,

and yes!!!! They were warm, really warm, and her belly is ALL skin no feathers anymore haha
ii would mind going under there either, maybe one day theyrell be a giant chicken breed ha!

Yes this is the first, they just started laying 3 months ago, under 1 yr still, but she is one determined chicken,

well she's doing a much better job incubating her eggs then i am, my homemade incubator spikes and drops oftem so i have smaller embryos then her, but it is my first time thats why i suck at it.

MOHILLBILLY; I don't think chickens kick their eggs because you touch them, i think its just pidgeons and such will, but not chickens, thats why they accept other eggs from different chickens, i don't even think any of the eggs that shes laying on is hers lol

Back
Top Bottom