Dfarago

Songster
Feb 23, 2019
High Desert, California
My Muscovy duck has been sitting on her eggs for 37 days now and the eggs still haven’t hatched. No piping, nothing. I candled six eggs and I can see movement inside the eggs, everything devolved how it’s supposed to (or at least in comparison to pics on the internet). Is there something wrong? Am I supposed to intervene at this point? And if so what am I supposed to do?

My Muscovy duck has been sitting on her eggs for 37 days now and the eggs still haven’t hatched. No piping, nothing. I candled six eggs and I can see movement inside the eggs, everything devolved how it’s supposed to (or at least in comparison to pics on the internet). Is there something wrong? Am I supposed to intervene at this point? And if so what am I supposed to do?
according to my research the incubation period is 35 days average, certain factors can throw this off and the babies still could hatch especially if there is movement. When we raised quail i still had chicks hatching four to five days after that period. I set my incubation limit to a week/ week and a half extra time just in case. after that i would call it quits with the eggs. It is bad to intervene in cases where chicks havent hatched yet due to possible underdevelopment. Give them a few more days, the discard after a week or so. I hope they hatch for you !

No, do not interfere.
They aren't even internally pipped yet.. you cant just go cracking the eggs open, they would likely bleed to death/not absorbed yolk, etc

according to my research the incubation period is 35 days average, certain factors can throw this off and the babies still could hatch especially if there is movement. When we raised quail i still had chicks hatching four to five days after that period. I set my incubation limit to a week/ week and a half extra time just in case. after that i would call it quits with the eggs. It is bad to intervene in cases where chicks havent hatched yet due to possible underdevelopment. Give them a few more days, the discard after a week or so. I hope they hatch for you !

Thank you. That makes me feel a lot better

so if after another week the ducklings still haven’t hatched does this mean the whole clutch is a bust? Is there anything I can do? Or do I just throw away the eggs?

so if after another week the ducklings still haven’t hatched does this mean the whole clutch is a bust? Is there anything I can do? Or do I just throw away the eggs?
Continue to candle the eggs and keep an eye out for any movement. After a week chances are high that they are a bust. There isn't anything you can do for them these things just happen sometimes.

So an update on the eggs. It’s been a week since I projected the eggs hatching, they still haven’t hatched but mamma is faithfully sitting. I went out and candled all of the eggs. All 31 to be exact. 15 were definite duds. Three I was unsure. 13 had movement. So I put the eggs back that had movement and threw away the duds, left the three maybes with her. Anything I should be doing at this point? Or just let nature do it’s thing?

Back
Top Bottom