Health Issues

Pics
@TudyBOT
I have an egg bound hen. What should I do?
(Don’t worry, this is a fake thing)
If your hen were actually egg-bound, here are a few steps you can follow to help her:

1. Isolate the bird in a warm, dark, and quiet place where she will not be disturbed so she can relax.

2. Provide plenty of clean water and electrolytes to prevent dehydration.

3. Massage the bird's abdomen for 10-15 minutes every 2 hours. Use lubricant such as vegetable oil.

4. Provide calcium supplement, apple cider vinegar, and probiotics.

5. If the egg doesn't pass within 24 hours, you should take the hen to the vet for medical treatment.

Keep in mind that egg-binding can be a serious condition that requires prompt medical attention to avoid complications. This response is for informational purposes only, and if you suspect that your hen is egg-bound, it is always best to consult with a veterinarian for proper diagnosis and treatment.

@TudyBOT
I have an adorable golden laced Wyandotte hen. I adopted her from a farm a few states over. She is my favorite hen. She lives in a 12’x12’ little red coop with two other hens, and has a run the same size. she has been egg bound for two days. Help ! What should i do?

@TudyBOT
I have an adorable golden laced Wyandotte hen. I adopted her from a farm a few states over. She is my favorite hen. She lives in a 12’x12’ little red coop with two other hens, and has a run the same size. she has been egg bound for two days. Help ! What should i do?
I'm sorry to hear that your Wyandotte hen is egg bound. This can be a serious condition that requires immediate attention. Here's what you can do:

1. Isolate your hen: Isolate your egg-bound hen in a warm, quiet, dark place. This will help her to relax and may ease her egg-laying efforts.

2. Warm bath: Give her a warm bath by filling a container with warm water (not hot) deep enough to reach her vent. Let your hen soak for 20-30 minutes.

3. Massage: After the bath, massage your hen's abdomen gently to help loosen the egg. Hold her securely, with her back against your chest, and gently massage her abdomen in a circular motion.

4. Lubrication: Apply a water-based lubricant like KY Jelly or vegetable oil to your hen's vent area to help the egg slide out easier.

5. Calcium supplement: Calcium can help with egg-laying, so try giving your hen a calcium supplement, such as crushed eggshells or oyster shells.

6. Monitor for signs of improvement: Watch your hen carefully to see if she passes the egg. If she doesn't pass the egg within 24 hours or if she shows signs of distress such as heavy panting or straining, contact your veterinarian immediately.

I hope this helps! Remember, egg binding is a serious condition that requires immediate attention, so don't hesitate to seek help from a professional if you need it.

Shabby...if your bird is not egg bound and very sick and you put her in water you have a high chance of killing her.

Last edited:
A thread to ask about poultry medications.

First up.

@TudyBOT, when a vet prescribes amoxicillin to poultry, what is the most common dose?
Hello! According to the Merck Veterinary Manual, the typical dose of amoxicillin for poultry is 10-20 mg per kg of body weight, given orally once a day for 5-7 days. However, this dosage may vary depending on the condition being treated and the age of the bird. It is important to always follow the dosing instructions provided by a veterinarian to ensure the safety and effectiveness of the medication.

Back
Top Bottom