Hawk Checking Out My City Chickens

Catalina

Songster
12 Years
Jul 19, 2007
Minnesota
I live in a very suburban cul-de-sac neighborhood. I didn't think I would ever have to worry about wild predators.
Today I saw a hawk very sloooowly flying up and down the fence line between my house and my neighbor's houses. He was flying about 8 feet off of the ground.
somad.gif

I know what he was looking for!!!
My girls were out in their run (which thankfully, is attached to my house on 2 sides) and he was trying to figure out how to get a chicken snack!
tongue.gif

Hopefull your run is covered on top!!!!
fl.gif

Otherwise, I would not let your chickens out in the run until it is covered!!!

I have had hawks almost fly into me trying to get small birds!! Do NOT expect them to make mistakes!!!

Keep your babies safe!!
hugs.gif

Cindy

Oh NO!!! This is how I lost my OEG hen!
hit.gif
Please be careful! I almost stepped on the hawk when I came around the corner, while it was eating her.

I hope yours stay safe!
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

Shelly

#1California Chick :

Hopefull your run is covered on top!!!!
fl.gif

Otherwise, I would not let your chickens out in the run until it is covered!!!

Cindy

No - I don't have a cover.
hu.gif

So they won't be going out until I get it covered.
How do you attach netting to metal house siding?​

Hmm, you could screw a furring strip to the house in just a couple of places, then staple the net to that. I can relate, I looked out the window this morning and, down below (I live about 20' above) was a huge redtail, sitting ON the chickendome. Man... They wouldn't come out of hiding till I went down and sounded the all-clear. Chickens. Oh, I'm also in the city... in the middle of Berkeley, California, in fact. I also relocated a family of 4 raccoons from next door. It's a little overgrown on the interior of my block, I'm lucky like that. Urban predators, indeed.

I recently had a hawk come down into my chicken yard and grab a pigeon while myself and my dogs were out there- and Im in a suburb neighborhood too-
what I did, for now, is I strung fishing line across the top in several places with CDS on them to make these light-reflecting spheres...my girls now enjoy a giant disco-ball effect...anyhow, so far, I havent seen the hawk again. I am sure he will return, but hopefully NOT before I can put netting up (waiting for a thaw, first).

I live in Hawk Alley - can see their nests from my windows! We covered our run with deer netting, because it costs about 1/10 th of the cost of "aviary net." Probably not the most secure. I also duct taped flags and whirly-gigs from the Dollar Store to the posts of my run. It's kinda cheesy, but we haven't lost a bird.

P1010720.jpg

I've been having the same problem with both a Red-Shoulder Hawk and a Coopers Hawk.
sad.png

Good advice from others. Please do cover your run. Your hens are being stalked!!! If the hawk gets a meal, it will never go away. And if the hawk kills inside your run, the others will be terrified as there will be no place to hide.

Back
Top Bottom