Gold Duckwing vs Black Breasted Red

Quote:
Tim do you know what's modifying, Black Breasted Red OEG based on wildtype e+? they seem enhanced, yet not as enhanced as the Dark Brown Leghorns..

Genetics 101

Light brown leghorns are wild type at the E locus. Dark brown leghorns are brown at the E locus. The two alleles work differently at the cell level. The brown allele produces a transmembrane protein that is switched to the on position all the time so the bird is constantly producing pigments that can be used to give color to the plumage.

In the case of the wild type, this allele is responsible for the production of a transmembrane protein that can only be switched on when a hormone ( not a male or female hormone) causes it to switch on. No hormone- no pigment production. That is why the two birds are a different color. Same thing with the females. The female hormones interact differently with the pigments produced by each E locus allele. The wild type allele in females acts in a zonal manner producing the salmon colored breast. This does not occur in the brown female- no salmon colored breast.

The regulation of pigment production is very complicated. There are a number of other ways pigment production can be regulated- science is just learning about some ways and others are well established theories.

I have been working with autosomal red but still have questions. ????????? Autosomal red can be manifested in a number of ways.

The hackles and backs of gold ( s+/s+) male birds can vary so much- there may be modifiers that are causing the differences. It could be the E locus, mahogany, autosomal red. There may be other factors that may effect the color- there may be different promoters found on gold alleles, there may be different gold alleles. Nothing would surprise me.

Tim

Last edited:
This is an awesome thread just got these throw backs :)

Iv been told this pair would breed true?
Only if they are based on Cream(ig recessive autosomal) if they are S/s+(for male) and the female is s+(recessive gold sexlinked) they will not breed true, some males will hatch gold, some will hatch golden. and females some will hatch silver and some gold

What is the difference betwee n gold a d golden I. The male?

How do you tell the difference between the silve and the gold in the female.

What is the difference betwee n gold a d golden I. The male?

How do you tell the difference between the silve and the gold in the female.
gold male are s+/s+
golden males are S/s+ and Hatch looking Silver and wont get their "Golden" color untill they start to mature

Silver females will have White hackles, Taupe colored boy and pale salmon breast
Gold females have "Golden/Yellow" hackles, brownish colored body and Salmon colored breast

Edit. to add an old post of mine regarding the subject..
below pics repressent a Silver Duckwing(S/- e+) female on the Left. a Gold Duckwing(s+/- e+) female on the right
and a Cream Gold Duckwing(s+/- e+ with autosomal recessive cream doing the dilution). you can see that Silver is almost ineffective in diluting the hens natural salmon color(same with cream)
HenComparison.jpg

Last edited:
gold male are s+/s+
golden males are S/s+ and Hatch looking Silver and wont get their "Golden" color untill they start to mature

Silver females will have White hackles, Taupe colored boy and pale salmon breast
Gold females have "Golden/Yellow" hackles, brownish colored body and Salmon colored breast

Edit. to add an old post of mine regarding the subject..

Thanks for the pictures of the hens. That is what I was thinking.

Back
Top Bottom