Going to try and hatch grocery store chicken eggs!

So this is a bullseye??? I’m almost positive every one of the eggs out of the 18 carton had this. It’s free range brown eggs from one of my local stores.

Edit: never really bothered to look at eggs for this before having chickens cause I never thought they could be babies. So I really don’t know if this is what I actually need to look for
That doesn’t really look like a bullseye at least in the photo it should look like this

Attachments

• EE3A47DD-1658-4612-8C36-87B8894281FF.jpeg
    EE3A47DD-1658-4612-8C36-87B8894281FF.jpeg
    251.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 2CF90EE4-460D-4FB2-B8F4-7EA9F7E4F9F8.jpeg
    2CF90EE4-460D-4FB2-B8F4-7EA9F7E4F9F8.jpeg
    87.4 KB · Views: 3
I know the chances of this working is very very low but its an exciting and fun little experiment! I am currently in Denmark and bought some organic free range chicken eggs. There are 6 and they were refrigerated so this should be interesting! Right now I have them sitting to reach about room temperature before I put them in the incubator. So they will go in today and I will candle around maybe the 7th day maybe sooner. Has anyone else tried this? Or even had success? 😂 any advice, tips and or tricks!?
My friend did this just for fun and got six out of 12 eggs to hatch and the birds are fine. Those eggs were even refridgerated. Crazy.

I've not purchased 'store bought' eggs to incubate.
I have purchased eggs from 'the lady down the street' and incubated those very successfully.
I have also refrigerated eggs that were laid by members of my flock, to collect enough to fill the incubator at the end of the week, and incubated those with great success as well.
The 'lady down the street' eggs had about 75% hatch out.
The 'fridge to incubator' eggs had about 50% hatch out; I too allowed these cold eggs to reach room temperature before allowing them to warm up in the incubator. I also rotated their position (tilt) of these eggs while they were in the refrigerator as I knew that I wanted to incubate them.
Good luck on your experiment and please keep us posted.
Trying to hatch free range organic eggs from a store would be futile. They would be jostled about during the washing and packaging stage. Washing alone would remove the "bloom" and allow the egg to spoil. If you're planning on hatching your own eggs, do not refrigerate them they will last up to three weeks without any refrigeration. Try not to handle them too much! Even a minimal amount of handling can be fatal to a would be chick. So next time just put the eggs in a carton, fat side up and let them sit on your counter at room temperature until you're ready to put them in the hatcher or under a broody hen.

Trying to hatch free range organic eggs from a store would be futile. They would be jostled about during the washing and packaging stage. Washing alone would remove the "bloom" and allow the egg to spoil. If you're planning on hatching your own eggs, do not refrigerate them they will last up to three weeks without any refrigeration. Try not to handle them too much! Even a minimal amount of handling can be fatal to a would be chick. So next time just put the eggs in a carton, fat side up and let them sit on your counter at room temperature until you're ready to put them in the hatcher or under a broody hen.
For the UK or the USA, I can certainly see just leaving them on the counter until ready to incubate.
I live close to the equator, it's HOT and HUMID here year round, both day and night. I do not have air conditioning. It's pretty much warm enough here to incubate WITHOUT an incubator (almost).

For the UK or the USA, I can certainly see just leaving them on the counter until ready to incubate.
I live close to the equator, it's HOT and HUMID here year round, both day and night. I do not have air conditioning. It's pretty much warm enough here to incubate WITHOUT an incubator (almost).
You should try incubating without an incubator. Maybe use a moist heating pad at night? It would be interesting to see if any developed.

Back
Top Bottom