General selling prices for adult birds.

hypnojessi

In the Brooder
13 Years
Jan 13, 2007
Troy, MO
I was wondering if anyone could tell me what adult chickens usually tend to sell for? Does the price differ from breed to breed? Is there a list of prices for the different breeds somewhere that people go by? And does anyone know what an adult Light Brahma would go for?

Thanks!!

Well it depends on size, Sex, And location.

Brahmas, a male goes for $6-$12
Females go for $9-$15

Now i dont know about there..so it is really a trial and error basis on different chicken breeds.

I remember when i sold my first birds. I sold 18 Hens all laying for 2.50 each...they should of been sold for $8-10

like i said..Depends on ,Breed, Age, Sex, location.

Murray McMurray sells Red Star pullets at 17 weeks old for $10 each, but the shipping is unbelievably expensive. And I'm guessing a Light Brahma is worth more than the Red Star breed.

-MTchick

Males are worth less than females
They are at their most expensive, age-wise, at POL (18-22 weeks)
Also location
Breed
Rarity of breed in your country and locality
How close the bird is to the breed standard
If it has been raised organically

It very much depends on what you are expecting to get. People often give roosters away for free, but good show quality birds sometimes can go for $100 on up! Do yourself a favor and research the breed and ask lots of questions of the seller before you commit any cash. I'd say generally if you wanted pet quality female birds you should expect to pay $10-$15 per bird though.

The motivation of the seller can affect the price as well. Some want very high prices, take it or leave it; others may offer a deal just to get rid of some.

I'd consider standard birds of standard breeds to be worth $6 and up for roosters and $12 and up for laying hens.

Also, ratty looking chickens in semi overcrowded conditions will groom into fine looking birds when in a smaller community with more space.
smile.png

I sell less than 2 years for $8 AND OVER 2 YEARS FOR $5 (LAYING HENS) if they buy 10 or more,but I'm wanting to replace my flock with the marans I cull from my breeding stock. I have given roosters away, or sold them for a few dollars.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom