Gel under skin of newly butchered chickens

JensMaverick

Chirping
Jun 14, 2015
We just had 4 Freedom Rangers butchered. I soaked them in a brine ice bath over night. Now I am in the process of cutting them up I notice that they have a gel/slime like substance between their skin and meat. What is this? Are the chickens no good? We had 8 CornishX done earlier in the year and didn't see this?

Thanks in advance.

What did you do @cliffoco ? Did you eat your birds? Did you clean it off? Did you also soak your birds? I am wondering if it is from the fat and soaking?

Thanks,
Jennifer

I would say that if yours is all over then it is from the salt and fat. ...I actually had globs of it, the only reason I saw it is because I broke the skin of the bird around the leg... I am also questioning if it is safe to eat. There was a few birds I noticed it on... No I have not eaten them yet though... when it thaws I will probably remove it now that you got me all concerned! lol
Hopefully someone chimes in

Edit: I noticed the gel during the processing part.

Last edited:
@cliffoco I did an experiment. I put my birds in a ziplock bag in the fridge and let them sit over night. The gel is gone and there is some extra liquid (water) at the bottom of the bag. So I am going to venture a guess that it was from soaking the birds in brine. The chicken looks good now and no odor.

Jen

Did you brine in the fridge?

I know some people brine at room temp because the salt "should" keep it good, but myself I would not attempt it :)

I brined in a ice cold cooler. I kept the cooler near to freezing the birds but not quite. It was an ice slurry of ice and water. So no fear of spoilage. In fact there is no smell what so ever. Unlike the CornishX which had a very strong chicken scent after processing. Yup I won't brine again.

Its definitely from the brine! Next time, just leave them on ice for 24 hrs and then part an bag them. There really isn't a need to do a brine.

What is the purpose of ice for 24 hours? Does this result in more tender meat? My parents always parted and bagged the same day of butcher. I've done that as well with mixed results. The Cornish x were tender enough but the dual purpose birds were tough tough tough!

I did not brine my birds, I did put them in cold water right after they were done processing to further chill them.. I still had the gel any thoughts? Not sure if it went away when freezing. It was very attached to the bird and I could poke the gel around. These were on 7 week old CX

Back
Top Bottom