Gel under skin of newly butchered chickens

I processed a cockerel once who, after the blood stopped dripping out, had a clear liquid dripping out (looked like snot). I went ahead and finished processing and we ate him, don't know what it was. But the flesh didn't look bad or smell or anything unusual. It wasn't slimy as I skinned him.

The only time I've seen a gel under the skin was with some broilers who developed breast blisters on the keel bone. The fluid is how you describe it, it comes from heavy breeds resting on the keel bone from small roosts or wet conditions

We just had 4 Freedom Rangers butchered.  I soaked them in a brine ice bath over night.  Now I am in the process of cutting them up I notice that they have a gel/slime like substance between their skin and meat.  What is this?   Are the chickens no good?   We had 8 CornishX done earlier in the year and didn't see this?  

Thanks in advance.
It's just the mucus membranes between the skin and muscle, they swell up with water sometimes, when being soaked, it's a condition of the bird not being fully hydrated when alive.

I had a meat chicken with a clear jell under its skin and I was wondering if it was okay to eat. It had a problem walking--legs were straight and was walking on its toes, very alert and eating but would fall over so I butchered it and found the jell. I didn't know if it was safe to eat. I don't think the jell you found on your chicken was from brining.

I have had chickens with stuff like that on them, I just cook them up and have never had any problems with taste or safety before

Back
Top Bottom