Gaggle of Geese Lovers

Goose Harmonic Orchestra.

horns.JPG

Happy Breeding Season everyone!! Do we all have our Costco sized box of headache meds and earplugs? :gig

I'm determined to not let my one pen that always has babies, have babies this year because I just don't have the room. I actually need to sell some of them and downsize the flock a bit. So if anyone's near Southeastern PA and wants some Buff Saddleback Pomeranians lemme know!

Hey, fellow goose fans! I have nine in my flock: three each of buff americans, embdens, and production toulouse. This will probably be a long post, but y'all brought it upon yourselves, giving me the opportunity to talk about my geese and all! ;)

It's that time of year again. My girl, Heidi, gave me some solid nips when I candled her eggs this evening. Ten eggs are developing well.

1000013242.jpg

This will be her second year hatching. Last year my other embden goose, Hilda, shared sitting duties with her, and they hatched four goslings.

20230428_165445.jpg

20230501_102342.jpg

So far this season Heidi is my only broody girl. I'm hoping it stays that way; we're trying to limit hatches for a while.

My ganders have been surprisingly pleasant this year. I read the first year is always the worst, but the diffence between this time last year and now is like night and day. Last year was all mindless, hormonal, painful attacks, and this year it's nothing but warning honks and gentle nibbles if they think I'm too close to the nests. Tex, my American gander, actually beat up on Hans, the Embden, a little bit when Hans got rough with me about a month ago. Hans has been gentle since. I'm not sure whether to chalk that up to coincidence or not.

20231107_090231.jpg

20231107_091030.jpg

20231107_090557.jpg

My toulouse gander, Picard, is a year younger than my other two ganders, and seems to feel content not to draw attention to himself by starting any fights. He likes to stay at the edge of the flock with his goose, Missy.

20230111_140654.jpg

Missy has divots on both sides of her face near the beak. It's a congenital defect, but it doesn't cause any issues. Last year she was a favorite of Hans', but I suppose she decided she liked Picard more. They're inseparable.

My last three geese are called Dakota, Eugenie, and Madeleine. I named all my geese based on their breed's country of origin. I also had a little mixed breed goose, Heldig, who I had hatched in an incubator. I loved Heldig's patchwork feathering, and I would have loved to keep him, but he turned out too feisty. It felt like 90 percent of all fights within the flock were instigated by him, and he fought rough; Picard was nearly blinded and his entire head swelled up like a balloon because of Heldig. It's such a shame - Heldig was a hoot as a gosling, being so much younger and smaller than everyone else. I guess he was bound to develop a Napoleon complex.

20230606_084501.jpg

I'm crossing my fingers I'm better prepared for all the mishaps geese can get into by now. Tex alone has caused me more anxiety than any other animal I've ever owned, I think. We've spent lots of quality bonding time together in the bathroom, waiting for him to heal from whatever latest scrape he'd gotten himself into. That sort of stuff always happens to your favorite. He's come out fine each time, but at this rate he's bound to give me a heart attack.

20231012_090229.jpg

Thanks to everyone else for all their stories and pictures! I love hearing about people's geese and looking at photos of them - I'm glad to have found this thread!

Last edited:
I'm also glad you found this thread. .I LOVED your post and tales of your goose adventures and misadventures!! Your geese are beautiful!

I totally recognize the expression on Heidi's face; my American Buff girls look at me Just Like That when I try to take their unfertilized eggs.

Too bad about Heldig and, honestly, Tex looks like he would be the one to cause all kinds of mishaps -- and then pretend he was totally innocent.

Best wishes with Heidi's hatch, and please, post any time!

Back
Top Bottom