McLovin_

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2023
Hello everyone bit of a long story but I have some questions about a pair of geese in my backyard (I don't know much about geese).

My backyard has a fairly large pond with a little island in the middle about the size of an average room in a house. Ever since I was a little kid a pair of geese have been coming to my house to lay their eggs on the island and raise their little goose babies because the island is completely surrounded by water and overgrown with shrubbery, so pretty safe for them.

Anyway about a week and a half ago I tossed a piece of a peanut butter sandwich I was eating into the water where the geese were swimming and they liked it, so that turned into me going outside every day since then to feed them cheerios because I got too lazy to keep making peanut butter sandwiches.

So a week went by and what I'm assuming is the male (slightly larger, more bold, always kept watch while the other foraged) was starting to get used to me, like when he saw me coming he would swim towards me, but he never got too close. (The female would eat the cheerios too but she seemed more indifferent.)

So all's going well until a few days ago I went to feed them and I only saw the male (I knew he was the male because he recognized me right away and swam over to me, which the female never did). I couldn't see the female anywhere, and when she wasn't there the next day it struck me that maybe she had layed eggs and was sitting on them. I googled what time of year geese lay eggs and the timing matched up.

So here are my questions:
When the goslings hatch and start swimming around with the parents, is it ok to keep giving them cheerios or is it like a choking hazard to the goslings? Is there some other common household food item that's better for them? Also I have 2 dogs, so I figured I should keep them on leashes when they're in the backyard, but would it be better to just keep them contained to the front yard only? (The geese like to eat grass in the backyard.)

Thanks to anyone who answers :)

What species are the geese?

Cheerios are fine as a treat, as they’re wild geese I’m assuming they are feeding off wild aquatic plants and grass and the Cheerios aren’t their sole diet which is fine. Cheerios probably won’t present much of a choking hazard once the goslings are a bit older.

Geese also like treats like corn and grain, lettuce, cabbage, kale, apple, peach, berries, carrots, and grapes though keep in mind that it’s better for the safety of wild animals that they don’t lose their trust of humans and dogs.

Cheerios are fine as a treat, as they’re wild geese I’m assuming they are feeding off wild aquatic plants and grass and the Cheerios aren’t their sole diet which is fine. Cheerios probably won’t present much of a choking hazard once the goslings are a bit older.

Geese also like treats like corn and grain, lettuce, cabbage, kale, apple, peach, berries, carrots, and grapes though keep in mind that it’s better for the safety of wild animals that they don’t lose their trust of humans and dogs.
Ok thanks they're Canadian geese.

I think you mean that they don’t lose their fear of people and dogs

Every party has a pooper and the party pooper’s me… I just want to say Cheerios have the highest glyphosate level of any package food. They are really no good for anyone. My geese favorite treat is lettuce. ❤️

Back
Top Bottom