Gaggle of Geese Lovers

Pics

ColtHandorf

🙄🤚 Sass Master
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Feb 19, 2019
Klondike, Texas
The duck lovers have a thread to chat about their little messy weirdos, so I figured we ought to have a place to share fun stories and anecdotes about our mischievous goose children. It seems like all the threads here are mostly devoted to little issues or questions related to geese, but there isn't really much of a place to just chat. So kick back, relax, laugh at some silly goose stories, and have fun with each other. :)

American Buff Goose Pair 2.jpg

My fun story for the day...

I heard the geese screaming and yelling about midnight on Saturday. I popped out with a spotlight to see what had them all worked up and they were all in a circle cheering Golly, my Buff gander, on while he was breeding a hen. His little victory yell at the end just encouraged them to further vocal heights. I rolled my eyes, but I'm sure everyone driving by enjoyed the show...

Pop Music Reaction GIF by Gavin James

That looks like a lot of work wading through that to get up to say hello.
😒 My American Buff Gander bit me in the arm yesterday when I threw out frozen eggs out of one of the nests.
It's a nasty bite too. 😠
Golly and I had a very nice understanding last year. They are now nesting in the barn which is more closed in and narrow. I now have to lock him out behind me to go in and check nests because he corners me. I'm not afraid of him, and thankfully flat feet make noise when he's running up to pinch me from behind, but when I'm juggling eggs it's kind of hard to redirect him.
Ow!
I have yet to be bit by one of our geese... Hoping it never happens.
Must be nice. :plbb

IMG_1094.JPG

Started with 2 females: Nibbles and Ivy
Then I got a pair: Romeo and Juliet
However, they got to keep 2 goslings last year so I have 6 total and the only one I know now is Butthead er.. Romeo. He's huge and has blue eyes and a bad attitude.
And he may be called Supper, if he doesn't chill out.

I keep reading that I can't have more than one male. Last year's hatch netted me 3 males, so now I have a total 4 males, and 5 females.

So far just the young ones are occasionally going at it and the older ones break it up. I have another 6 females on order for June. I'm not risking more males by hatching again. Should be another fun breeding season picking up eggs daily. I'm hoping it all works out.

this is the first mating season since we added the trio of buff poms (2 ganders 1 goose). interestingly enough, both of the boys were smitten with my older gray pom goose(vespa) and ended up fighting over her for the first half of the season. the more dominant brother(buttercup) has ended up with her (i'm fine with it, she has a bad leg and spends most of her time limping or alone so it's nice to see someone with her all the time keeping her company), and his brother(stauber) for awhile decided to start seeing our sebastapol(cherub) goose as a backup. thankfully, they seem to officially be together now! he no longer really goes to harass his brother and just hangs out with her all day. i'm really hoping they start mating and i'm able to find some of her eggs, i'd love the possibility of getting some colored sebastapol crosses...

our head gander(aka goose) is now paired off with his favorite goose, my chinese named paisely, and then also breeds our african goose(argyle) and the lone female buff pom(penelope). i have no idea how he's still head gander. he is kind of a wuss.

we had to separate their pen into 3 sections for night time. buttercup attacks stauber, paisley and argyle if they are near him and vespa, so we had to set up a separator to put those 2 on one side. just tonight we had to put a big dog cage inside the pen and put stauber and cherub in it, because stauber started attacking paisley and argyle, and goose goose, the worst gander, barely stood up for them and just kind of let it happen. -_-

also paisley and argyle are girlfriends. they still mate with each other every day, along with being bred by the gander. they're cute. it's funny lol.

sorry for word dump. haven't gotten to talk about my geese much!

Back
Top Bottom