DEDbird

In the Brooder
May 11, 2024
Ireland
I visit my hens every day since I got them two weeks ago. At first everything was great but now I have an issue with not collecting any white eggs for the last 4 days. The Amber star has been Queen royalty while the white leghorn - who's also a bully - demonstrated her amazing laying prowess and suddenly stopped as if it were protest. I don't know if I'm being bullied by a literal chicken or if she might be the one who's unwell. I've noticed light brown to dark orange excrement with very low viscosity like soft paint.

I really don't need the liability of taking them to a vet so I'm wondering if there's any wise sage who's been through this. I've made sure their diet and coop requirements are met so I'm investigating in case it's an outbreak waiting to happen.

What's their ages?
Diet?
Temperatures?
Crop feel?
What are all these questions everything is normal.
Layer feed with supplemental
I don't take their temperatures? Is that a thing?
They're all new layers so roughly 7 months the smallest leghorns comb is beginning to brighten and grow.
Crops are healthy, soft. They pack them full of food.

By your description and being new layers I would suggest to treat them with Corid for a few days.

New grounds hold a variety of new bacteria and parasites like coccidia for them and they need some time to adjust their digestive system. Treating them with Corid will help them during this phase and you can still eat the eggs they lay.

What are all these questions everything is normal.
Layer feed with supplemental
I don't take their temperatures? Is that a thing?
They're all new layers so roughly 7 months the smallest leghorns comb is beginning to brighten and grow.
Crops are healthy, soft. They pack them full of food.
These are questions that you're supposed to fill out to help others determine whether or not your bird is sick or what's going on.
What protein is the feed and what are the supplements?
Temperatures, I mean what are your outdoor temperatures?

These are questions that you're supposed to fill out to help others determine whether or not your bird is sick or what's going on.
What protein is the feed and what are the supplements?
Temperatures, I mean what are your outdoor temperatures?
It's been resolved. Whatever was causing that brown/orange excrement it seems to have subsided or what I fear, entered a dormant phase. It's impossible now to determine what happened.
But thanks for the interaction!

Back
Top Bottom