I'm going to take a time out from previous story to celebrate a big event. We got our first egg of 2019 today!
20190111_135404.jpg

I saw Lilly working on a nest today on the coop cam and later she was complaining and running in and out of the house while everyone else was free ranging. I am pretty sure it was my little enforcer.

20190111_193751.jpg

I think this excited Jabber as he was "giving her the wing" all afternoon. She wanted nothing to do with him and kept slipping away. From my kitchen window it looked like Jabber thought he had the OK once when he clearly did not and my Alpha hen, Patsy, came racing over and gave him a chest to chest stare down. He was better behaved the rest of the afternoon.

Patsy had this look when she came after him. She stared at him while standing chest to chest for a full minute. Unfortumately i have no idea if anything was said.
20190111_194415.jpg

I love your philosophy about keeping hens regardless of eggs. I figure everyone deserves a kind and gentle retirement, once her work is done. My chickens are all pets, too (some better than others!) and I am looking forward to more about the Fluffy Butt residents. They are beautiful birds.
:goodpost: My birds are pets too, we get eggs everyday but are not big egg eaters at all, so we give the majority of the eggs away free to whoever wants them and there are plenty of people happy to take them off our hands. I'm currently in a battle to keep my birds as we've had complaints and people are trying to force us to give them up, I would be devastated if I have to give them up. I love every single one of them and I'd be lost without them. However in anticipation of us losing the case (if we do) we have found a wonderful bird sanctuary to take them to should needs be and the lovely people who run the sanctuary have guaranteed a place for all 8 of them even if it takes years before we find out the outcome. But I will never relinquish my beauties unless I am forced to by a court of law in which I case is have no choice.

Last edited:
Snowy Greens
It snowed last night and the coop looks pretty with the snow.
20190113_193829.jpg

Unfortunately, this group of birds does not have an alpha leghorn to lead them out onto the snow. Knowing they would be house-bound or "cooped-up" I thought I would give them a treat. So I hung a cabbage in the run. At first it was bouncing all over when they pecked at it making it hard to eat. Then they somehow arranged themselves into a triangle and went to town on it as Jabber watched on.

I have cameras in my coop and run and this morning I saw some interesting behavior that I thought I would share. Our young rooster, Jabber had just mounted Hattie and my alpha hen Patsy came over and knocked him off her. Thinking that was odd I thought I would start the camera recording in case it happened again. Instead I caught Patsy smacking him down. Check out the video below. They come beak to beak, I'm not sure if Jabber is trying to intimidate her but there is a rapid reaction and Patsy is clearly the winner.

Back
Top Bottom