First Time Duckling Owner- What Is Normal Duckling Behavior?

wildpeas

Songster
7 Years
Mar 18, 2012
Port Orchard, Wa
This is my first time with ducklings and I know nothing about their normal behavior. I have Holderread's book and read it over and over but it doesn't address everyday behavior.

I have 2 Rouens, 2 Khaki Campbells, and 2 Indian Runners. All female. They are eating Flock Raiser with a little chick grit and occasional butter lettuce in water. They have a playpen (kiddie pool) they go in for a little bit most days and are brooding in an 85 gallon rubber stock tank.

They have periods of activity and then a lot of rest periods. They stretch their legs out when they are laying down sometimes and there have been a few sneezes. They get excited sometimes and run around like lunatics and knock each other over. They climb on everything. They peep a lot. Sometimes they will eat and drink laying down.

Does this sound normal? They just turned a week old yesterday.

Thanks!

All sounds totally normal to me! I know sneezing can be scary but they are just clearing water or dust outta their nares.

Around here we call the leg stretching you described "duckie yoga." :)

The eating and drinking while lying down always makes me laugh. It's multitasking at its finest!! :D

Sounds like you have a happy batch of ducklings! Gotta love 'em...there's nothing cuter than a duckling. :)

This is my first time raising ducklings. We did when I was a child but I didn't do much of the work since I was so young.
We purchased 3 Mallard ducklings. The are so cute but I'm having trouble trying to get them use to human interaction. I've had them now for almost two weeks and they still run and hide when I walk into the room. I will talk sweetly to them and let them take "baths" in our guest bath tub when it is time to clean the pen. When I hold them they act like I'm about to eat them at any moment in time......
Does anyone have an tricks or tips on how to make them more tame? I'm not sure if it is the breed or something I am doing wrong?
Our baby turkeys are very tame and our baby chicks are starting to get there.
Any advice would be very appreciated.

Ducklings are like that, at least all of mine were. They'll get friendlier, later. But as babies two weeks or older, they tend to panic easily and be fearful of Very Large People, even those with treats.

Normal behavior.

Don't buy into breed stereotypes; many times they aren't true. I bought Silkies because everyone told me how friendly they were, and I can barely get near mine even now.

I have Mallards and they are the first to greet me when I go into my duck pen. Mine were raised in the house and very spoiled (and very stinky and messy, LOL). Mine were sugary sweet and loving from the day I got them (three days of age) to about 18 days of age, and then they went through a fear period that REALLY hurt my feelings. It happened overnight, too!

They snapped out of it around four weeks and I could handle them again. Thank goodness!

I really hate that ducklings have that fear period, though!

Thanks!
We have only ever had dogs, cats, and horses so this is a completely new world for me.
smile.png

I know the feeling!
gig.gif
Except mine are chicks.

Yes the eating a drinking sitting down actually scared me at first I thought something was going on with their legs, but no they are actually just being lazy! Your description on your ducklings sound just like mine!

Thanks for the advice. I will just continue to give them attention/handling them. And spoiling them rotten! In hopes they will warm up to me soon. :)

Back
Top Bottom