First chicks, questions already!

I’m impressed with those cardboard boxes, too! Expandable! Where do you get those big ones? Are they new moving boxes, or something you found?

Those are actually Weber grill boxes from our local hardware store. Each spring I contact the warehouse manager and assembly guys since they sell and assemble a lot of products. I ask them to save 2-4 identical boxes instead of putting them in compactors, I pick them up collapsed to fit in my car, in turn I bring them some fresh eggs since I told them I’ll be using them for chick brooder. When I’m done with boxes, I bagged and compost the shavings or directly place them on our hedges and I return the used boxes back to them to recycle.

I will move it, thanks!

Currently we have a quilt over the top when we are not in the room, but it’s clear we will soon need something better. We were thinking of making a wood-framed hardware cloth cover. I was worried they might get tangled in netting.

Any thoughts on this? I imagine we can “recycle” a hardware cloth frame once the building gets underway outside.

So our local farm and feed store told me my chicks are a week old, at most. I have 2 Buff Orps, a Gold-laced Wyandotte, and a Black Australian.

First question. They don’t seem to want 95 degrees. But really, I don’t know. I brought them home after five, got them settled, then was busy making dinner with a friend over, to boot. Poor planning! At the moment they are in a small bathroom with a heater, and sleeping under their Mama HP. I plan to get the bathroom up around 85 (it’s 79 now) for the night. Okay?

Second question. One of the Buff Orps got her foot stuck in the feeder, which is a metal tray with a slide-on top. She was flapping around a bit (they were all roosting on the feeder together- cute!) and when I picked her up, one toe was stuck. She was on the end. Should I get a different feeder? I have to go shopping tomorrow anyway.

Third question. If they each have a very few feathers, are they older than one week? The Orps are bigger than the other two. But all four have a few visible feathers. The Orps feathers are more readily visible. I suppose it doesn’t matter but I was trying to figure out the temperature. My friend took pictures; when she sends them I will post.

Fourth question. I thought I’d read everything and understood it all, but I just read a comment that I should check baby chicks for pasty butt every two hours! I haven’t checked them at all! Should I wake them up?

Thank you all! I’m so happy to join here, with chicks, finally!

At our feed store, the chicks come in a box with the temp on the side. You start at 95 for day old chicks, drop it 5 degrees every week, so you should already be at 90 or less. The chicks will tell you, if they are too hot they will be as far away from the heat as possible and if they are cold they will be huddled all together close to the heat source.
I agree with the one who said , use the little round feeder for the first few weeks. They switch to the one with the sliding top when they are bigger. I nail mine to a large board so they cannot tip it over and it stays relatively clean also. Pasty butt should not be a problem after a few days of adjusting to the new suroundings, but it can kill a little chick. I check for the first 3 days and then it seems to be Ok. Good luck, you will become addicted to chickens, it is dangerous.

So our local farm and feed store told me my chicks are a week old, at most. I have 2 Buff Orps, a Gold-laced Wyandotte, and a Black Australian.

First question. They don’t seem to want 95 degrees. But really, I don’t know. I brought them home after five, got them settled, then was busy making dinner with a friend over, to boot. Poor planning! At the moment they are in a small bathroom with a heater, and sleeping under their Mama HP. I plan to get the bathroom up around 85 (it’s 79 now) for the night. Okay?

Second question. One of the Buff Orps got her foot stuck in the feeder, which is a metal tray with a slide-on top. She was flapping around a bit (they were all roosting on the feeder together- cute!) and when I picked her up, one toe was stuck. She was on the end. Should I get a different feeder? I have to go shopping tomorrow anyway.

Third question. If they each have a very few feathers, are they older than one week? The Orps are bigger than the other two. But all four have a few visible feathers. The Orps feathers are more readily visible. I suppose it doesn’t matter but I was trying to figure out the temperature. My friend took pictures; when she sends them I will post.

Fourth question. I thought I’d read everything and understood it all, but I just read a comment that I should check baby chicks for pasty butt every two hours! I haven’t checked them at all! Should I wake them up?

Thank you all! I’m so happy to join here, with chicks, finally!
I just check daily for pasty butt unless I find some with it. Then I check 3 times a day until I don't find it any more.

My chicks are doing well! I swear they are growing overnight, every night. Today I put a small branch into the brooder, and they all fled to the top of the MHP, where they sat and stared at the branch for about 10 minutes, daring it to attack. (It didn't.) Later I put a few baby lettuce leaves into their food tray, which they also approached with trepidation. My little Gold-Laced Wyandotte got hold of a tiny piece, and the rest chased her around, trying to get it, leaving the rest of the lettuce where it was. These gals are a riot!

Thanks all for your helpful comments. I'm feeling much more confident. :jumpy

Back
Top Bottom