Fertile Eggs No development

GibsonFamilyFarm

Songster
6 Years
Apr 23, 2018
SFV
I had someone purchase hatching eggs from me locally. They just purchased 2 dozen and started incubating them. The third dozen was set and didn’t start developing at all.
All the eggs were collected within 7 days and are fertilized.

Any ideas why these didn’t start developing? She did the same exact thing with these as the others and put other fertilized eggs in and they are developing.

If I follow you, she actually bought 3 dozen, set two dozen that are developing but the third dozen is not developing?

I can't even imagine why this would be on you as if I'm understanding you, you're giving her all of these eggs pretty fresh, and to your knowledge, they're all fertile. Unless some odd thing happened like they froze or were left in high heat somewhere, they'd all be the same as the others and should develop like the others.

If I follow you, she actually bought 3 dozen, set two dozen that are developing but the third dozen is not developing?

I can't even imagine why this would be on you as if I'm understanding you, you're giving her all of these eggs pretty fresh, and to your knowledge, they're all fertile. Unless some odd thing happened like they froze or were left in high heat somewhere, they'd all be the same as the others and should develop like the others.
Yes, I’m sorry for any confusion. Thank you very much for your reply!

She bought a total of 3 dozen. One per week for three weeks and set them each after getting them from me.

First batch is about to hatch and had great development. The second one, I’m not sure how many worked out because her child dropped them.

The third she got on a Wednesday, said she set them over the weekend and messaged me on Wednesday saying there was no development. Then again on Friday and said the same. Opened them and there was nothing. She did admit at least one appeared fertile.

All were collected and given to her within 7 days of collecting. I had just hatched some myself with great success.
I knew they were fertile. I checked again when I received her message and sure enough—fertile. Same thing again yesterday—fertile.

I know I’ve held up my end of the deal. I just don’t know what she would have done so they didn’t develop.
Cold here wouldn’t be an issue but I am beginning to wonder if heat could have been—especially if left in a car.

Thank you again for your reply. I appreciate it!

Yes, I’m sorry for any confusion. Thank you very much for your reply!

She bought a total of 3 dozen. One per week for three weeks and set them each after getting them from me.

First batch is about to hatch and had great development. The second one, I’m not sure how many worked out because her child dropped them.

The third she got on a Wednesday, said she set them over the weekend and messaged me on Wednesday saying there was no development. Then again on Friday and said the same. Opened them and there was nothing. She did admit at least one appeared fertile.

All were collected and given to her within 7 days of collecting. I had just hatched some myself with great success.
I knew they were fertile. I checked again when I received her message and sure enough—fertile. Same thing again yesterday—fertile.

I know I’ve held up my end of the deal. I just don’t know what she would have done so they didn’t develop.
Cold here wouldn’t be an issue but I am beginning to wonder if heat could have been—especially if left in a car.

Thank you again for your reply. I appreciate it!
Oh, I see I caught onto the gist of it pretty well. 😊 You're very welcome.

Again, I don't see how this is on you, but in the interest of keeping her a customer, as long as these aren't like hugely expensive eggs, I'd just give her another dozen or even half a dozen, and be done with it.

This issue is on her end, and I'd just leave it with telling her the eggs left your house fertile. Period.

Oh, I see I caught onto the gist of it pretty well. 😊 You're very welcome.

Again, I don't see how this is on you, but in the interest of keeping her a customer, as long as these aren't like hugely expensive eggs, I'd just give her another dozen or even half a dozen, and be done with it.

This issue is on her end, and I'd just leave it with telling her the eggs left your house fertile. Period.
They are cream legbar. I sold them for 35/dzn. Around here, that a really good price.
I feel that may be why she’s keeping me updated as much as she is. Possibly seeing if I’ll give her more.
She’s already ordered a dozen more for June before this happened. I figured I’d give her an extra half dozen if I have them at the time.
I only have 3 hens so it’s not like I have tons of them to even sell let alone give away.
Again, thanks so much for your help. I’m really big on customer service but also don’t want to be taken advantage of either. There’s definitely a balance.

Some of the things that could have possibly happened:

They may have been cooked somewhere, in the sun while stored or car or elsewhere. If it gets hot enough it will kill the embryo. Same thing with it being too cold. Going from hot to cold to hot to cold a few times can be hard on them too.

Excessive shaking can cause the eggs to not hatch or even start developing. I had that happen when I put the eggs on the floorboard on some rough country roads.

Was her incubator working correctly for the third batch? It sounds like she was putting all the eggs in the same incubator but maybe not.

With what you described that's about all I can come up with. I have no idea if she is trying to take advantage of you or not. I don't know whose fault it is. It is up to you as to how you handle customer relations.

Good luck!

Some of the things that could have possibly happened:

They may have been cooked somewhere, in the sun while stored or car or elsewhere. If it gets hot enough it will kill the embryo. Same thing with it being too cold. Going from hot to cold to hot to cold a few times can be hard on them too.

Excessive shaking can cause the eggs to not hatch or even start developing. I had that happen when I put the eggs on the floorboard on some rough country roads.

Was her incubator working correctly for the third batch? It sounds like she was putting all the eggs in the same incubator but maybe not.

With what you described that's about all I can come up with. I have no idea if she is trying to take advantage of you or not. I don't know whose fault it is. It is up to you as to how you handle customer relations.

Good luck!
Thank you very much!

One of the things you listed is all I can think of as well.
I believe she has multiple incubators that she’s using. She said she set them with another dozen she purchased from someone else and they are all developing.

They are cream legbar. I sold them for 35/dzn. Around here, that a really good price.
I feel that may be why she’s keeping me updated as much as she is. Possibly seeing if I’ll give her more.
She’s already ordered a dozen more for June before this happened. I figured I’d give her an extra half dozen if I have them at the time.
I only have 3 hens so it’s not like I have tons of them to even sell let alone give away.
Again, thanks so much for your help. I’m really big on customer service but also don’t want to be taken advantage of either. There’s definitely a balance.
That's a great plan! Just give her an extra 1/2 dozen with her next order, but I would make that the last time as she's obviously got issues on her end that who knows what happened, then asking you about it. :confused:

This is on her, not you, so again, I'd just simply say, "The eggs left my house fertilized."

If she keeps this up, I'd ditch her. If you have no other local customers and have never shipped before, let me know and I'll give you the basics as it's easier than some think.

Back
Top Bottom