Feather cysts

Lelu

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 24, 2010
Monterey, Ca
I'm double posting this here and in first aid. One of my birds has what I thought was an abscess. So I got some blu-kote, and today I went to drain it. Upon further inspection it seemed much more like an ingrown feather or feather cyst. Is this something I can fix at home? or do I need a vet. :-/

Take a needle, make sure the needle is sterile (alcohol or hydrogen peroxide will sterilize the needle), pop the cyst, or open it at least...then take some neosporin or bluecote and put it over the wound...since the cyst is open its easier for the wound to heal.

Quote:
IF THEY ARE INDEED INGROWN FEATHERS INSIDE THE CYST THEN YES, GENTLY GET THEM OUT THRUOGH THE OPENING YOU CREATE DRAINING THE BACESS, BUT I DONT RECOMMEND "PULLING THE FEATHERS OUT" OF THE BIRD ITSELF--- THIS WILL CAUSE EVEN MORE AND WORSE INGROWN FEATHERS DURING THE NEXT MOLT, GET THE INGROWNS OUTSIDE THE FLESH OF THE ANIMAL AND LET THEM STAY THERE AND THE SOFT TISSUE AROUND THE INFECTED FOLLICAL WILL HEAL

I clipped all the girls wings, and cleaned out the ingrown feathers today!
celebrate.gif
Now I'll have to explain my bright purple arms to my professor... kinda had an over spray accident with the blu kote...
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom